Entering grades for manual grade items?

Entering grades for manual grade items?

by Mary Mackenzie -
Number of replies: 9

I've been having difficulty entering grades for grade items all semester.  Every time I create a grade item manually through gradebook, Moodle does not allow me to actually grade the item.

I've worked around this by creating "offline activities" for everything (homework, quizzes, and tests), and gradebook allows me to grade those.

What am I doing wrong?

In reply to Mary Mackenzie

Re: Entering grades for manual grade items?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hmm, manual grade items should definitely be editable. Do you have the default role of teacher, or have some permissions been changed? Can you try on the Moodle sandbox site and see how it works there?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Where are you trying to grade them from?  You should be able to grade them directly in the grader report by turning editing on.  Can you provide a screenshot?

by Bob Puffer -

Emma's right though you may have to set your gradebook preferences to allow for 'Quick grading'.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mary Mackenzie -

thanks for you help.  I did have quick grading turned on, so I turned it off and then all of the columns appeared with boxes in them.

However, now I'm going back to it, and I have the same problem, and quick grading is still turned off.  A screenshot isn't really conveying my issue.  But when I mouse over a manual item grading column and double click it (as I would to take me to a new screen to grade it, nothing happens.  Also, the boxes are gone again.

Also, I just noticed that in the grade item I created, and thought I then just graded, put the students' grade in the feedback column.  I guess those boxes weren't helpful then...
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mary Mackenzie -

thanks for you help.  I did have quick grading turned on, so I turned it off and then all of the columns appeared with boxes in them.

However, now I'm going back to it, and I have the same problem, and quick grading is still turned off.  A screenshot isn't really conveying my issue.  But when I mouse over a manual item grading column and double click it (as I would to take me to a new screen to grade it, nothing happens.  Also, the boxes are gone again.

Also, I just noticed that in the grade item I created, and thought I then just graded, put the students' grade in the feedback column.  I guess those boxes weren't helpful then...

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you post screenshots of your grader report and of your grade book settings.  It sounds like you are enabled for quick edit feedback but maybe that quick grading is turned off somewhere.  If you are admin, you might check the grade book settings and grader report settings in the admin settings as well.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mary Mackenzie -

Hi Emma, 

Here are the screenshots.  I did see quick feedback was on, so I turned that off too.

You'll see in the grader report what happens when I click on the title of the Extra Credit Manual Item.  It wont take me to a new page.

Preference shots will be sent in a separate email.

-Mary

Attachment Categories and Items.png
Attachment Grader Report.png
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mary Mackenzie -

Grading preferences screenshots

Attachment Grading preferences 1.jpg
Attachment Grading Preferences 2.png

by Emma Richardson -

Ok, so you have to turn quick grading on in your settings and save and then go to the grader report and turn editing on.  You should then have boxes available to put the grades in.  There is no page for a grade item because there is no assignment attached to it.  You just have to grade it directly from the grader report.