Solution for my SMS requirements

Solution for my SMS requirements

by M Adil Mazhar -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, following are few of my requirements regarding sms integration with my moodle:

• Student can send request to start paper using SMS. (GSM mobile will be used for this feature.)
  • Students can answer MCQs using SMS.
  • Publish result to the students. Result will be published in student’s account and SMS will also be sent to the students.
  • System will use Student’s mobile number and password (which will be provided in SMS) to validate and to open the session with the user.

There are some plugins available for sms integration but i think none of these will fullfill my requirements. So can any one suggest me the best approach or suitable plugin in this regard to proceed further?

Thanks to all suggestions & responses in advance! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Adil Mazhar

Re: Solution for my SMS requirements

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm intrigued to know why you would want students to be able to answer questions by SMS? May I ask why you want to do that?

You'd be writing your own plugin to do this I think. May SMS providers publish web service APIs that tie into their service, so that would probably be the way to go. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by M Adil Mazhar -

Thanks a lot for your concentration and response!

Actually I'm working on a project with the theme that E-learning mechanisms automated the traditional exam procedure. But the limitations that arises during this process is the scarcity of resources i.e. PCs & internet. Solution is to utilize the mobile phone technology as every student has cell in his pocket so one can present mcq paper to the sudents through gsm mobile using sms.

Hope you'll understand and can guide me in better way now!

Cheers

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You need to choose an SMS gateway service with a suitable API and then write a Moodle plugin to do what you need. It would be a non-trivial project so, seeing as you ask, I think you're going to have to find a Moodle developer to do it.

by M Adil Mazhar -

Thanks for your concentration!

Yes going to do the same, as I've not much experience of developing Moodle plugins so rather than developing a plugin from scratch, i was thinking to copy an existing plugin which will be little relevant/helpful for my requirements. What do you suggest? So i was asking for such a relevant plugin to use it as a base & guide!

Thanks,

Adil

by Howard Miller -

I don't think there's anything. What you want to do is very unusual. 

by Jason Hardin -

I would agree with Howard. What you are proposing to me sounds like a new  web service type for SMS. I would look at how Moodle core has created the rest, soap or awf web service apis and see if you could do something similar for an sms gateway.

Once you have that then any of the existing activity web service functions would potentially work with it. You would likely need to then add new web service apis to quiz for answering questions and other activities based on what you are looking to do.

This would also be beneficial because if Mobile is a focus eventually you could look into using a mobile app for those users that have data plans without much more work.