Assessment grade: another Moodle use of the word dimension

Assessment grade: another Moodle use of the word dimension

by Annette Knobloch -
Number of replies: 1

At

I found this statement: "It is very important to know that the grading evaluation subplugin Comparison with the best assessment does not compare the final grades. Regardless the grading strategy used, every filled assessment form can be seen as n-dimensional vector of normalized values. So the subplugin compares responses to all assessment form dimensions (criteria, assertions, ...). Then it calculates the distance of two assessments, using the variance statistics."

I bolded the part regarding dimensions. So, is every filled assessment a dimension in calculation of the Assessment grade?

Currently, I have two Aspects to be graded for the submitted work in Workshop. Do I have to account for the graders' assessments of aspects, separately?

What is in the pool of normalized values? What are the dimensions in  n-dimensional vector of normalized values???

What are the dimension in all assessment form dimensions (criteria, assertions, ...)?????

What are the two assessments in distance of two assessments?????

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annette Knobloch

Re: Assessment grade: another Moodle use of the word dimension

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In another discussion I was trying to explain what is meant by "does not compare the final grades".

The whole point behind all these dimensions and vectors is actually pretty simple. If you are using the accumulative grading strategy with two aspects, every filled assessment form can be represented by a tuple of numbers - that is the 2-dimensional vector. The "normalized" means that the method does not really care if the aspect is graded using a three point scale or a number from 0 to 20. It normalizes both assessed aspects into two number from 0 to 100%.

For example, let us say you have the first aspect assessed using a scale "poor, average, good" and the second aspect using a numerical value from 0 to 20. Let us say Alice fills your form with the values "average" for the first aspect and 15 for the second one. For now, let us presume both aspects have the same weight set to 1.

The grading evaluation plugin "sees" such filled assessment form as two numbers (i.e. as two-dimensional vector):

50%, 75%

It does not really care if the first of these numbers were obtained via a scale or a number.

So the "dimension" is a general concept describing items at any assessment form.

The sentence with "distance of two assessments" is not that clear in the docs, I just realized. The grading evaluation method firstly decides which of all peer assessments of a single submission should be considered as a referential ("best"). It then calculates, how different each of assessments is from this referential one and calls that difference as a "distance". The bigger distance is, the lower grading grade is given.