background music

background music

by Aviva Wasser -
Number of replies: 13

How can I add background music to a section of a course?  I am using version 2.5

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aviva Wasser

Re: background music

by amit gupta -

Hi Aviva,

The HTML5 Audio tag has autoplay and loop attributes which could give you continuously playing background music.

Give it a try and see if t works.

Amit

In reply to amit gupta

by Richard Palmer -

Hello Amit

I like the idea, however, not knowing what an HTML5 tag is and how to use it I'm stuck. I would be most grateful if you could tell me what to do with it.

Many thanks Rick

In reply to amit gupta

by Aviva Wasser -

I don't understand the computer jargon. What is the HTML audio tag with autoplay and loop attributes?

In reply to amit gupta

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Maybe if you would post a sample of the code to do this and tell us where in the code it belongs, maybe we could explore it.

In reply to Aviva Wasser

by Guillermo Madero -

This would be the code to add:

<audio src="youraudiofile.mp3" autoplay loop controls>
<p>Your browser does not support the audio element</p>
</audio>

You could also include different audio formats, in case one of them cannot be handled by the browser:

<audio autoplay loop controls>
  <source src="youraudiofile.mp3" type="audio/mp3">
  <source src="youraudiofile.ogg" type="audio/ogg">
  <p>Your browser does not support the audio element</p>
</audio>
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by John Gifford -

Well I just tried this with a label in a course. It works of sorts...

The label has to be visible to get it to play, make it invisible and only teachers/course creators and admins can get it playing. Students get Simon and Garfunkel ('the sound of silence') wink

In reply to John Gifford

by Mark Whitington -

I thought placing the label with the audio in an "orphaned activities" topic section would work... just tried it but if failed.

I also tried closing the eye on the topic section but the activity eye open... it too failed.

In reply to Mark Whitington

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Where did you place the audio file?  I have mine on a remote server and amusing a URL to call it.

Here is the code I am using to test. You are free to try it. It works as an executable HTML file but I cannot seem to get it to work in Moodle.  Maybe it is in the wrong place.  I tried it as an assignment, a label, and a few other places.

Maybe someone here can tell me where to put it.

===============================================

<audio autoplay loop controls>
      <source src="Http://www.ambrofiles.me/GeneralAudio/ChatBots.mp3" type="audio/mp2">
      <source src="Http://www.ambrofiles.me/GeneralAudio/ChatBots.mp3" type="audio/ogg">
      <p> Your browser does not support the audio file</p> 
   </audio>

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Mark Whitington -

I used "insert Moodle media" within a label etc.

When the label was in a visible topic it auto-plays as intended but the "player" was visible.

I thought the intention was to not show the media player, hence using the orphaned area... this seems to break its ability to play.

In reply to Mark Whitington

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I guess I am just not seeing it.  I open  new label but do not see "Insert Moodle Media". 
I am using 2.5.1, could that be the problem?

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Christian Herman -

Assuming you have the text editor turned on:

If you don't see that icon then it may be disabled.  Check the status of the plugin at Site Admin > Plugins > Text Editors > TinyMCE HTML Editor > General Settings and open eye on moodlemedia if closed.

In reply to Christian Herman

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I finally found the answer, MP3 was was disabled. I had to undisable it.
Also, used no HTML at all.  I just placed the URL in the description.

Enjoy the clip[ while you are at it....

Average of ratings: Useful (1)