Change Quiz questions when an ateempt has been made

Change Quiz questions when an ateempt has been made

by Avinash Kodoori -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I have seen that once a quiz is deployed and if someone has made an attempt, then it is not possible to change the questions of the quiz. Although this is a useful feature but is there any way to disable that option?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Avinash Kodoori

Re: Change Quiz questions when an ateempt has been made

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This it not a feature we added just for fun. The reason you can't change the questions in the quiz after it has been attempted is because doing that would probably break all the existing attempts, so it has to be prevented.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Avinash Kodoori -

Hello Tim.

There might be a case when a test question or answer maybe wrong and the Course administrator might have realised it after a few students have taken the test. This could be a problem when the Quiz is open for a long period and has a large number of students.

I have been just experimenting with many Quizzing software and I am very much happy with MOODLE. Thanks to the community and to you too Tim for your prompt replies.

Really loving MOODLE (ofcourse i have to learn a lot about it)

In reply to Avinash Kodoori

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, your post did make me wonder if we could safely allow teachers to replace a question with another question, for students who have not yet started an attempt at the quiz. Not quite sure of how that would work in detail, but it might actually be possible in future.

Note that can edit the questions in the quiz after the students have started attempting it. This has to be done with great care, or you can cause havoc, but if, for example, you spot a typo in the question text, you can safely edit the question and fix that.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Catherine Berry -

I would find it useful to be able to replace a question with another question for students who have not yet attempted the quiz. For example, I might have a multiple choice question but then I might realise that it would be better to use a short answer question - in a case like that it is not possible to edit the existing question.

Also, I have had a couple of instances where I have accidentally put a wrong question into a quiz - one which had already been used in another quiz. I can't edit it as that would mess up the other quiz, so I had to make a new quiz and lose the student attempts that were already there.

So it would be great if this feature could be added in the future.