Repositories for all!!

Repositories for all!!

by seaghan moriarty -
Number of replies: 6

Not really a battle cry - but read on, nonetheless smile

Is this possible ...

That every student would have their own private independent repository? Ideally this might be (for example) Google Apps, where each individual Moodle student login is linked via some Google SOAP SSO thingy to the individual's Google Apps (or standard) Google account. So they are saving via Moodle into their own independent data store.

I know that in the current Moodle, I can make many types of repository, and I know that I can make 'instances' of these repositories available to my users - but this (in my limited knowledge) is really sharing my one repository with my one Moodle (and all my users are using a private 'slice' of this).

Any help/direction/URLs to documentation would be gratefully accepted smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to seaghan moriarty

Re: Repositories for all!!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Not quite sure I understand what you mean. If you use Google drive repository for example (other repositories are available) then students access their own repository only, not yours. See Repositories and for example Google Drive repository  The same with Dropbox repository What are you wanting that is different from this? You can also get them all using their Private files

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

My private files?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by seaghan moriarty -

Thank you Mary, Tim!

I was hibernating for the Winter so back now ;)

Mary said "students access their own repository only", and "What are you wanting that is different from this?" so I am very encouraged by this. So can I outline a scenario and would be hugely appreciative if anyone could comment on it - thanks!

- Tablets: Students use chromebooks & iPads - and save their individual work to their personal filespace on OneDrive

Office365: Students use Office365, and save their individual work to their personal filespace on OneDrive

- Moodle: I would like students to be able to access their personal filespace on OneDrive while in Moodle. Is this possible?

In my head, my brain is telling me no way! How can one Repository in Moodle enable different Moodle users to access their personal filespaces on OneDrive?

I know that the Moodle - ADFS with Windows Azure Active Directory is an integration to enable SSO (so you can manage users, create users etc, within 365) but am not sure if this is relevant to my quest. At the end of the day, I need to find a private, student filespace that can be accessed by iPad etc, Office365 AND most importantly Moodle.

Hope this makes sense ...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can set up the Onedrive repository (it is standard in 2.6 onwards) See OneDrive repository Note that it is the free version and not the OneDrive for business, if that makes a difference to you.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by seaghan moriarty -

Thank you so much Mary!

I can't quite 'see' how it works yet - but I'll definitely try it and report back here. Thanks! smile

by seaghan moriarty -

Quick update:  The school I was helping only had OneDrive for business, so that's not available for Moodle - pity...

I think Google Drive might be best next thing, as it's free (as in 'you-are-the-product-not-the-customer'-free), gives 15Gb and most crucially is easy & accessible from Moodle, Office 365, iPads, other tablets, etc.

And to clear up my thinking from above, the 'repository' is not a 'repository' at all. It's easier for me to think of it as a protocol which enables students 1 2 and 3 in Moodle to connect to their own GDrives/Dropboxes/etc. 1 2 and 3 via this protocol in the File-picker etc.  Students set up their [GDrive] accounts outside of Moodle, and then come into moodle and enter their [GDrive] credentials to make the link to their personal repositories ...

Thanks all smile