file uploaded through html editor

file uploaded through html editor

by Ye Chen -
Number of replies: 4

Some of our moodle users inserted a file in html editor. They highlighted some text, then choose link, it asked them to provide URL, see the attached img1. if you clicked the file icon, it will bring you file picker that you can upload a file. Then it will have a link to the file like  http://yoursite/pluginfile.php/2875/course/section/123/yourfile.pdf.

In the database, in table mdl_files, it showed  the record, filearea is section, component is course.

My users wanted to remove the files from the server, they deleted the link. however, the file is still on the server. I checked the database, the record is still there.

The problem is my user accidentally uploaded some confidential files, they wanted to delete them from moodle site. There is no way we can delete them.  They deleted the link for days. The files are still there. If user bookmarked the link to the file, they can still access it. Unfortunately, the file even searchable through google.

If any one knows how to remove such file permanently, please let me know.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ye Chen

Re: file uploaded through html editor

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you are using Moodle 2.6/2.7, then click on the 'manage embedded files' button. If it is an earlier Moodle version (2.4/2.5) you can install it from here: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=tinymce_managefiles

You may still need to wait a few days for the draft file area to be automatically cleared (but that is just a housekeeping task - the files there are not available via the Moodle user interface).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Ye Chen -

My moodle version is 2.5, so i installed the plugin tinymce_managefiles. the version shows 2013120200

I am able to remove the file through manage embeded file interface. However, I did not see any changes in database table mdl_files about this record. It is still there. And also, I bookmarked the link to the file, through the link, I still can access this file. I understand the file maybe removed from server later, but at least, it should not allow people to access the file anymore through any web link like this http://yoursite/pluginfile.php/2875/course/section/123/yourfile.pdf once we delete the file through mnange embeded file interface.

Thanks

In reply to Ye Chen

by Ye Chen -

The problem is solved. I deleted the file from manage embeded file interface. But forgot to click save changes in the textEditor. So the file was not really deleted. That is why I can still access the file. Once I click save changes, it worked fine. Just want to let people know not to make same mistake as mine.

Thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ye Chen

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thankyou - that is kind of you to come back and report your solution so others can benefitsmile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)