Jmatch Sort in quizport problems

Jmatch Sort in quizport problems

by Robert Maran -
Number of replies: 16

Hi Gordon

Just been trying out the latest JMatch Sort v 1.4.2 that has been made courtesy of Anges Simonet/ Stan Bogdanov on Moodle 1.9. In the moodle environment (at least for 1.9 anyway):

1. the items do not get shuffled each time the page loads. (it does outside of moodle)

2. Clicking the "check" box doesn't seem to work- so . (it does outside moodle).

3. Clicking on the "give up" button does not "give up".

It seems to work for hotpot, though...

Any chance of a fix of these problems? 

Cheers

Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Maran

Re: Jmatch Sort in quizport problems

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Robert,
Stan asked me about this the other day - hi Stan! I have downloaded the plugin and I am having a look at how it works. I'll report back later.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Gordon,

While in moodle 1.9 something of an exercise shows up, the case in Moolde 2.x is worse - only the nav bar, instructions and the check button show, but no "exercise" when I tried it on your test Moodle (HotPot, QuizPort and TaskChain) and wrote to you. Just reporting it here because other people may have tried it as well.

Hope you can make it work.  So many people have wanted a categorisation/classification drag-drop exercise.

Cheers

Stan

by Robert Maran -

Hi Gordon Thanks for the reply. Hopefully a solution can be found- this drag and drop addition would be nice to add to the hot potatoes repertoire!

Cheers

Robert

In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Robert and Stan,

you will be pleased to know that I have added a new JMatch Sort output format for JMatch quizzes. To use the new format you will need to upload the "jmt" file (not the HTML file) to your Moodle 2.x site and add it as a HotPot activity.

If you do not have a easy access to a Moodle 2.x site with the latest version of the HotPot module, you are welcome to experiment on my server:

Please send feedback and let me know how you get on. Once we have confirmed it is working well, I will added the format to TaskChain and maybe QuizPort too.

I would like to say "Merci beaucoup" to Agnes Simonet for sharing her work.

Stan, could you confirm with Agnes that it is OK to include this output format in the HotPot and TaskChain modules for Moodle 2.x. Thanks!

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Robert and Stan,
FYI, I have  added the preliminary version of JMatch Sort to TaskChain for Moodle for 2.x. It is almost *exactly* the same code as for the HotPot module so any feedback you send in for one we can apply to the other too.

I found that on some quizzes, the items do not get shuffled. This concurs with what Robert reported. On closer investigation, it turns out that the items are only sorted if the "Shuffle order of items each time page loads" box is checked: JMatch -> Configure Options -> Other

Stan, you will notice that I have separated the styles you added for shadowing and corners into separate files. At a later date, I intend to implement functionality to allow additional CSS files and styles to be defined. This will allow us to easily add the various nice stylesheets that you have developed.

regards
Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Gordon,

Re: the items do not get shuffled ... the items are only sorted if the "Shuffle order of items each time page loads" box is checked: JMatch -> Configure Options -> Other

This is the expected behaviour.

I tested on your moodle in HotPot (an exercise in English) and TaskChain (in RTL - Hebrew). Both working fine. I see Glenys is testing with audio and images. Also working fine.

I wrote to Agnes and am waiting for her confirmation

Cheers

Stan

In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Stan,

thanks for confirming about the shuffling. Everything seems OK there then.

I am working on adapting this output format to QuizPort. Slightly more tricky, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

thanks for liaising with Agnes approve

regards
Gordon

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon and Stan,

Great that it's working so well!. Though there are some little things. I thought my exercises weren't working because when I first looked at TaskChainJMatch Sort Magic "e" TaskChain  (Firefox 25.0 on Mac) it showed as an "ordinary" JMatch. It was only when I saw Stan's message that it was working that I went back to check... and it worked for me too. I don't know why there was the initial problem.

When the exercise is completed an error message shows: "Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$score in /Users/gbateson/Sites/Moodle/24/mod/taskchain/renderer.php on line 1340"

When I uploaded JMatch Sort with players from my Mac I got this error message in the Hot Pot version (not in the TaskChain version) "Sorry, the HotPot module could not detect the type of the source file: /JMatch-Sort with players/.DS_Store" and the exercise wasn't visible. I've had trouble with that pesky ".DS Store" file before! Mac users beware and remove it.

I uploaded it again as JMatch Sort with players 2 from Windows and got a different error message: "Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$hotpot_bodystyles in /Users/gbateson/Sites/Moodle/24/mod/hotpot/attempt/renderer.php on line 652" but the exercise showed normally.

Having retired, I'm not using Moodle any more but I'm happy to help with testing this wonderful addition to the Hot Potatoes set of possible exercises. Thanks so much to Agnès Simonet for doing the coding and to Stan too for writing the Instructions and putting the modified source files on his site where they're easily available: http://hotpot.ewbooks.info/jmatch_sort_categorisation.And of course, thanks to you, Gordon, for getting it working on Moodle.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Gordon,

Agnes said OK.

Cheers

Stan

In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Gordon Bateson -

Great - thanks for confirming Stan.

BTW, I have added JMatch to QuizPort (Moodle 1.x) too.

regards

Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Gordon,

And thanks. So is it officially part of the HotPot, TaskChain and QuizPort in new downloads?

Cheers

Stan

by Robert Maran -

Hi Gordon

Thanks for making Jmatch sort available for 1.9. However, when I tested it, I found that page does not change after  clicking on the "check" button, and if I check on the "give up " button- same thing- the page will not move on.

Awaiting a solution if possible...

Cheers

Robert 

In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Robert, thanks for trying the new JMatch Sort. Could you try removing the STOP button and let me know if that improves the situation. thanks, Gordon

by Robert Maran -

Hi Gordon

I removed the STOP button as you suggested, but that has not fixed the problem....

Wait for any other suggestions I should try...

Robert

In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Robert,
thanks for reporting this. There was a further small fix required for QuizPort, but that is done now so please update to the latest version and try again.

regards
Gordon

by Robert Maran -

Hi Gordon

Just to inform you that JMatch Sort works as it should in Moodle 1.9. Thanks as always...

Cheers

Robert

Average of ratings: Useful (1)