Collapsing Topics Format 2.5

Collapsing Topics Format 2.5

by Kate White -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I would like to collapse the topics format in 2.5 to not have the Scroll of Death.  Can you help me?  I am new to Moodle

Kate

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kate White

Re: Collapsing Topics Format 2.5

by Domenico Recchia -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
In reply to Domenico Recchia

by Kate White -

Hi

I installed the tabs and like it very much however my users cannot access more than the first tab.  Also, these are noted as "sections" when to me, they are "modules."  I want to change the name.  Also, I want users to be able to access any module at any time.  So it is not activity oriented.  It seems as though users have to complete the first section to go onto the next.  Is that right?  Can I tell it to not do that?

Kate

In reply to Kate White

by Floyd Saner -

Kate,

Consider using the Collapsed Topics plugin.  It provides many different options for ordering and collapsing topics.  https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_topcoll

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Kate White -

Floyd,

I did that.  I can't seem to get the topics to collapse.  I would only like the title to be seen and then students can click on it.  Otherwise, they have to scroll a lot.  Would like to change that.

Kate

In reply to Kate White

by Floyd Saner -

Kate,

The Collapsed Topics plugin will do what you want to do.  Here is a checklist to go through after you have installed the plugin.

1. Go to your course.  Select Course adminstration ... Edit settings
  2. 'Format' should be set to 'Collapsed Topics'.  If you cannot select 'Collapsed Topics' in the Format box, the the plugin has not been properly installed.
  3. After making the selection in #2, a list of expanded options should appear.  If the options do not appear, save the settings and open Edit settings again.
  4. There are a lot of options under 'Formatting options for collapsed topics'.  You may need to play around with the options to get what you want.  I've attached a screen shot showing settings you can start with.
  5. Be certain to turn off course editing.  That changes the view.  Better yet,  switch your role to Student to see the course from a student's perspective.

Let me know if this does not work.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Kate White -

This did not work.  I did not get that many options in Moodle 2.5  I di dnot get Set Elements, or Set Structure, or Set Columns.  Etc.  Thoughts? 

In reply to Kate White

by John Porten -

Just in case you have not resolved this,  you can check out the functionality and settings on this test site:

https://kate.moonami.com/

Login with 'superuser' credentials displayed on the home page.

The 'Test Course' is configured with Collapsed Topics.  

Be sure to check out the CT default settings in  "site administration > plugins > course formats > collapsed topics".

Also be sure to check out the course level settings in "Course Administration > Edit Settings", then look for the Course Format section.    

I believe these are the default settings.

This site us running Moodle 2.5.2 and version 2013062600 of the plugin.