File Uploads in Moodle 2.5.1+

File Uploads in Moodle 2.5.1+

by Tammy Brice -
Number of replies: 6

I currently have two servers using Moodle 2.5.1.  One server is on a Windows 2008 Platform (IIS) and the other Linux.  I just upgraded both Moodle versions from 2.4 to 2.5.1.  I can no longer upload SCORM courses trhough the File picker.  On the Linux server I get "Archive (ZIP) filetype cannot be accepted.  On the Windows server, I get "The file (whatever file name is) is either empty or a folder.  To upload folders, zip them first."  These are scorm courses I am attempting to upload and they are zipped.  This was not an issue until I upgraded Moodle to 2.5.1.  I am getting increasingly frustrated with Moodle, my customer is the govenment and adamant about keeping up with Moodle upgrades, however, each time an upgrade is iniated, code that previously worked breaks.  No configuration control or consistency through versions.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tammy Brice

Re: File Uploads in Moodle 2.5.1+

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It sounds like the process being used to upload the SCORM package might be in-correct due to the errors you are reporting. 

Have a 2.5.2+ on Linux server.  Used Add an Activity or Resource and picked, SCORM Package.  Uploaded the package file ... ie, the zip.  Set other parameters.  Works.

Wonder: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/SCORM_FAQ#Supported_Versions

Have you checked apache error logs or turned on debugging to see if there is more info.

Do feel the pain however.  As far as latest and greatest versions ... know it might be hard to deal with some customers concerning that, but what's most important is the word 'STABLE'.  And I've found that git updates (following full site backups) are best if one has to stay on the 'bleeding edge'.   Maybe some subtle education is required. smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Tammy Brice -

I did extensive testing last night.  If you load a SCORM package through the Activity, all works fine.  If you load a SCORM package via "Edit/Add Courses", that is when the error message "Archive (ZIP) filetype cannot be accepted" appears.  This is across Windows and Linux and happens in IE8, 9, 10, Chrome, and Firefox.  We are using SCORM 1.2.

In reply to Tammy Brice

by Ken Task -

If attempting to use 'Edit/Add Courses' that would be an accurate and true error.  A SCORM package (.zip) is not really a 'course' to Moodle ... it's an activity/resource to be displayed ... like a file.

One should stick with and use what works! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Tammy Brice -

Thank you Ken.  I was trying to avoid having to redo all of my sites since I had previously uploaded the SCORM courses via Add/Edit courses and not through any activity and this worked fine.  I have approximatley 350 courses done this way so as you can guess, having to restructure those sites is going to be an under taking.  I am thinking an easier route would be to dump the contents of my current database, create a new database, import the info and scale back my Moodle version to 2.4.  That would be less time consuming and less confusing to the customer.  Thank you!

In reply to Tammy Brice

by Tammy Brice -

Spoke too soon.  I can in fact, still upload SCORM courses through the Add/Edit courses selection.  Instead of upload the SCORM file on the "Edit Course Settings" page (which is the screen that appears after clicking Add/Edit Course, Add New Course), I simply fill in the data, and the course format type, which in my case is SCORM, hit Save Changes, and then I am brought to a screen that says "Adding New SCORM Package".  This works for me without having to restructure anything.  There is always more than one way to skin a cat and never trust what you read on forums until you completely investigate!

Attachment add_new_scorm.png
In reply to Tammy Brice

by Ken Task -

Interesting ... kinda curious as to why one is having to basically re-install courses in the 2.5.1+? (unless I'm mis-understanding)  

Suggest learning how to 'migrate' a site from older version to newer version via 'git' might be a better approach.

Have assisted with sites that have scorm packages and courses in upgrading with git.  No issues (discovered so far).  And, it took literally minutes to do. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken