Adding new question types that require yet another question type...

Adding new question types that require yet another question type...

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is a real problem when installing a plugin/module that requires another plugin/module to be installed first. There is no way to "go back". This problem does not only concern the quiz "add-on" questions, but I will report here anyway.

Using moodle 2.5.2+. Here is the "never-ending" scenario...

1.- Decide to install the Drag and drop image or text question type.
Go to Site administration ► Plugins ► Install add-ons
and Select the Install add-ons from the plugins database

screenshot #3
Find the "Drag and drop onto image" plugin and click INSTALL.

2.- Notice: There is a request to install add-on Drag and drop onto image (qtype_ddimageortext) version 2013070100 from the Moodle plugins directory on this site. If you continue, the add-on ZIP package will be downloaded for validation. Nothing will be installed yet.
Click Continue

3.- Validation passed

screenshot #1
Why is the "foundlangfile" Status titled "Debug" instead of OK like all other Status headings? and why does it not display its correct language string?
Click Install add-on! button

4.- Next screen: the Plugin dependencies check tells me that this plugin (question type) requires another plugin (qtype_gapselect) to be installed FIRST!

screenshot #2
Click Continue... same "dependencies" screen gets displayed again!

5.- The only way to continue installation is to remove the ddimageortext folder that has been installed into your moodle/question/type folder, and start again, installing the qtype_gapselect (actually Select missing words) question type.

Now, there is obviously a "missing check" between steps 2 and 3. Validation should not be marked "passed" when a required "element" is missing!
Even then, at step 4, there should be a friendly way to "go back", maybe a button to automatically remove the already installed ddimageortext folder from your moodle site or at least a Notice clearly stating that you have to do it.

Also, on the very first screenshot, the Requirements line for the Drag and drop into text question type only mentions the Moodle versions, it does not say anything about the required Gapselect question type!

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Adding new question types that require yet another question type...

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have encountered this problem and fixing it was fiddly and frustrating.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry, wrong screenshot in my OP, should be this one (but it does not change the problem at hand):

screenshot #1

by Oleg Sychev -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi, Joseph.

The problem is serious for any plugin author that requires other plugins - such as my own, that require 5 other ones to work - it create a mess for the users and they drop trying you plugin at all! We should alert key Moodle developers and I obviously vote for the tracker issue if you will create it.

However, I don't think the problem is particular to the question types and IMHO it should be discussed in General developers forum and/or maybe Installation help forum, where it may have better chances of getting attention of people necessary for fixing it.