Importing Hotpot short-answer question turns it into multiple choice

Importing Hotpot short-answer question turns it into multiple choice

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 3

Using moodle 2.5.1, I imported some Hotpot short-answer quizzes into Moodle, where they worked fine as Hotpot quizzes. (Short answer is a subset of JQuiz in Hotpot.)

I then tried importing the same questions into the Moodle question bank and making a Moodle Quiz using them. The Hotpot question-import appears to have converted the questions from short answer into multiple choice questions. When I add those questions to a quiz, they come up as multiple-choice questions that contain my list of right-and-wrong matching texts as the mutiple choice items. There is no short-answer blank.

The only way I can find to convert these items into short-answer Quizzes is to re-enter them by hand.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Or is this the expected behavior?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Importing Hotpot short-answer question turns it into multiple choice

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Gerald,
I just checked and confirmed that HP import for JQuiz ShortAnswer is working as expected for both Moodle 2.5 and 2.4.

My first suggestion would be to update the HP import script on your Moodle 2.5 site. You can download the latest version (Feb 2013) from the following locations:

If that doesn't fix the issue, please attach your JQuiz file to your next post to this thread.

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Gerald,
one more point that may be pertinent, and that is please note that JQuiz "hydrid" questions, which start as ShortAnswer and then switch to multiple-choice, are imported as MULTICHOICE questions by the HP import script.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gerald Grow -

Ah, this is my situation! I am using hybrid questions.

After a little experimentation, I found that I can convert the .jqz source files from question-type 3 to question-type 2 and then import them into Moodle as short answer quiz questions.

The Moodle short-answer quiz does not seem to me to be as versatile, however, as the Hot Potatoes hybrid question. So I probably will not leave the Hotpot format for these quizzes.

Thanks for your help, Gordon!