True False Questions - Negative Grading

True False Questions - Negative Grading

by Sid g -
Number of replies: 11

Hi, I want to create a True False question and specify a negative grade if the wrong answer is selected by the learner. In a normal Multiple Choice Question, I have the option to specify a negative grade (-25%, -20%, etc), but this option is not available in the T/F question type. Can somebody explain why?

Thanks
Sid

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sid g

Re: True False Questions - Negative Grading

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Very easy,

Instead of creating this as a TRUE/FALSE question, create it as a MCQ question with TRUE (score 100%) and FALSE (score -100%) as answer choices!

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

But what would this actually do - it is my understanding that you cannot actually get a negative grade for a question, so you would end up with a zero which is what the T/F does anyway...or is that you cannot end up with a negative grade for the quiz?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Emma "it is my understanding that you cannot actually get a negative grade for a question"

Wrong, you can get a negative grade for a question!

However you can't get a negative grading for a quiz (and that's a good thing!).

Suppose you have a quiz consisting of 2 MCQ questions with 2 choices each, and a score of 100% for the correct choice and -100% for the incorrect choice.

Here are the various possibilities according to student selection of choice.

Q1 and Q2 correct choice: score = 100% each, total quiz score 100%.

Q1 and Q2 incorrect choice: score = -100% each, total quiz score 0%.

Q1 correct choice: score = 100% , Q2 incorrect choice: score = -100%, total quiz score 0%.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ahh, that makes more sense.  Thanks for the clarification Joseph, and you are right, that is exactly how it should be!

by Sid g -

Ah of course, thanks a lot! Why didn't I think of that before smile

However, just wondering aloud why the devs left out the option in the T/F question itself. 

by Harald Schnurbusch -

Hi

I created a quiz with 2 questions: 1 single choice, 1 cloze (multichoice)

The sc and the cloze question each contain one answering option that gets -100%. In preview mode when choosing these answers with negative score I get a negative score for the questions AND the whole quiz (see image below). We currently use version 2.3.1 (but will update soon to 2.6).

Why is that?

In reply to Harald Schnurbusch

by Harald Schnurbusch -

Hi

Does no one have an answer to that problem above? It's the contrary of what Joseph Rézeau said 2 posts earlier. You CAN get a negative grade in a quiz with negative scoring. Is this how it should be? Joseph said no.

As I've already said: It's like this in Moodle 2.3.1 and also in Moodle 2.6, the version we want to update to.

Thanks, Harald

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Harald,

Since you mention my post to this discussion, I decided to test again the scenario under Moodle 2.6 and ... you are right, it is possible to get a negative score for a quiz. Things must have changed since I posted my answer last year.

From a pedagogic point of view I am against the idea of giving a negative score to an answer, and even more against the idea that a test/quiz can yield a negative score. Just does not make any sense to me.

Joseph

by Emma Richardson -

Can you show us your quiz settings and the grader report?  Is the negative getting to the grader report as well?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Emma, I just had a look at the Grade report, and the quiz is reported with  a score of 0% there.

I'm afraid this is confusing for the student to have the same activity (a quiz) which reports a negative score when reviewed, whereas the Gradebook reports 0%.

Joseph

by Emma Richardson -

Yes, that would be confusing but I imagine a brief core change would fix that - something along the lines of "if the score is less than zero,0".    It seems like that should be a feature request for Tim!!