Breadcrumb trail missing

Breadcrumb trail missing

by Richard Crawford -
Number of replies: 7

We're using Moodle 2.3.2, with a modified version of the Nimble theme.

In some assignments, the "breadcrumbs" are missing, making it difficult to navigate through the course. I've included two images with this post; in the first, the breadcrumb trail is present, but in the second it is missing. These assignments are in two different, but identical courses; the only difference between the two courses that we've identified is the start date.

Notice the breadcrumb trail in this image:

Now, notice that it is missing in this screenshot:

Any thoughts, hints, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Crawford

Re: Breadcrumb trail missing

by Christian Herman -

Are course themes allowed?  Have you looked at the HTML?  Are the breadcrumbs rendered by hidden?

In reply to Christian Herman

by Richard Crawford -

Hi Christian. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

We don't allow course themes. The theme is set up throughout the site.

I've checked the HTML, and the breadcrumb trail simply does not get rendered.

I've also looked at the source code for /theme/nimble/layout/general.php and confirmed that the code to generate the breadcrumb is indeed there.

by Richard Crawford -

An update: I tried switching to another theme to see if it was our own customized Nimble theme that was causing the problem, and it doesn't appear to be. The breadcrumb trail does not show up even when using other themes. So the theme doesn't seem to be the culprit.

Again, the only differences between the two courses are their shortnames and their start dates. I've gone through all the settings, both on the settings page and even compared the two courses in the database.

This is becoming an urgent issue. Any ideas or hints or suggestions that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm not afraid to touch code or the database if necessary.

by Richard Crawford -

Another note: The breadcrumb trail apparently shows up for some activities -- it's showing up for "page" activities, for example -- but not others.

It appears I've stumped the Moodle community! 

by Richard Crawford -

Fixed.

by Christian Herman -

Do tell.

In reply to Christian Herman

by Richard Crawford -

Turned out it was some of our own code in lib/navigationlib.php that was causing the problem. The code was not marked with our standard "LOCAL HACK" comments, so we did not see it for several days. It's been taken out and the breadcrumb trail is working again.

No wonder I stumped the community. ;)