Seoul time appears to be wrong

Seoul time appears to be wrong

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 16
Hi there,

Using the Seoul/Asia timezone in my profile here at moodle.org gives a time that is one hour too fast.  Using the GMT + 9 setting give the correct time.

Still a problem with the timezone enhancements?

Tim.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Seoul time appears to be wrong

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Our database seems to think you have DST this year:
310,Asia/Seoul,1970,ROK,540,60,5,15,-1,0,09:00,9,13,-1,0,08:00
311,Asia/Seoul,1987,ROK,540,60,5,-14,0,0,09:00,10,-14,0,0,08:00
But according to this you don't.  Which is correct?  Did it stop recently?

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Allen -
Hi Martin,

There is no DST in Korea now (i.e. at any time of the year). My friend tells me it existed in the past, but it wasn't so recent I think - the way he said it, it sounds like it was at least 10 years ago (maybe that is recent historically though...).

Tim. smile
In reply to Tim Allen

by Martín Langhoff -
Strange. Olson files seem to think that Korea is on the following DST rule currently:

Rule ROK 1987 1988 - May Sun<=14 0:00 1:00 D
Rule ROK 1987 1988 - Oct Sun<=14 0:00 0 S

I'll find out more...
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Martín Langhoff -
Why don't I read what is right in front of my eyes? My Olson parser seems to be ignoring the 1988 which is "end" of the rule's rule.

Will be working on a fix soon.

by Tim Allen -
Thanks Martin.  approve
In reply to Tim Allen

by Martín Langhoff -
Committed the fix. I am certain that it parses the data correctly, but not sure how the new Zone/Rule info is handled end to end. Can I ask you to test it?

Given that I've just committed it, do a cvs update, or get a 1.5dev package newer than this post. The top of lib/olson.php should say that it is version 1.22.

Then download the file I've attached to this message. It's an olson file with all the zoneinfo data. Put it moodledata/temp/olson.txt and then you can load it from the Admin/Calendar area.

Jon -- if you're following this -- can you check that the rule this new code generates for Asia/Seoul 1988 is a reasonable measure to convince it to NOT have any more DST for that TZ, after a period of actually having DST?

by Tim Allen -
Hi Martin L,

Thanks a lot for your time in addressing this issue. smile Sorry I took so long to test it.

Anyway, I have bad news to report. I updated my 1.5 site via CVS and made sure the version of lib/olson.php was 1.22. Then I copied the file you attached to mooddata/temp/olson.txt and loaded it from the admin/calendar area (I think it said something like "1713 items loaded").

But using the Asia/Seoul setting in my profile still gives the wrong time (one hour too late)... sad Changing it to GMT + 9 give the correct time...

The new references to Seoul are as follows:

In mooddata/temp/olson.txt:

Zone Asia/Seoul 8:27:52 - LMT 1890
8:30 - KST 1904 Dec
9:00 - KST 1928
8:30 - KST 1932
9:00 - KST 1954 Mar 21
8:00 ROK K%sT 1961 Aug 10
8:30 - KST 1968 Oct
9:00 ROK K%sT

In lib/timezones.txt:

310,Asia/Seoul,1970,ROK,540,60,5,15,-1,0,09:00,9,13,-1,0,08:00
311,Asia/Seoul,1987,ROK,540,60,5,-14,0,0,09:00,10,-14,0,0,08:00

Right? thoughtful

Tim.

by John Papaioannou -
Just to give the heads up, and for anyone who cares, I am following this discussion. We 've discussed an approach to catch such inconsistencies with Martin L and we 'll get to it as soon as possible.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Sean S -
Korea did it for two years around the olympics apparently to appease americans or some such thing. Thankfully they reverted to no DST. I'm waiting till Canada stops using DST before I move back.
In reply to Sean S

by Martín Langhoff -
Strange -- that doesn't show up. The last DST rule for KOR is in 1987. Got some references to back that up?

by Sean S -
Strange -- that doesn't show up. The last DST rule for KOR is in 1987. Got some references to back that up?
9 years of living here and never having to change the clock. Other than that nothing official though.

by Tim Allen -
Rule ROK 1987 1988 - May Sun

Doesn't that mean that the DST rule was applied in 1987 and 1988 only?  Since the Seoul Olympics were held in 1988, that would appear to be consistent with what the Linguist said.  smile
In reply to Tim Allen

by Martín Langhoff -
My bad! I though they had taken place in more recent times (90's). Sorry ;)

Is it working better now, Tim?

by Tim Allen -
Thanks a lot Martin! Today, it's working correctly. The "Asia/Seoul" setting gives the correct time. I don't know why it didn't work last night after the CVS update... mixed

It's not working here at moodle.org though - I assume the fix hasn't been applied here yet... wink

Great work! smile
In reply to Sean S

by Pamela Giles -
>I'm waiting till Canada stops using DST before I move back.

You can move to Saskatchewan now!

We haven't had DST in decades (although every year the business associations grumble about our not being in tune with the rest of Canada and threaten to bring it back.)