upgrade to Moodle 2.5

upgrade to Moodle 2.5

by Zeid Fanous -
Number of replies: 1

Hello all, 

I am currently using Moodle 2.4.3 with a customized theme for the pc and the "my tablet' theme for tablets. i prefer using a single responsive theme for all. such as Essential theme. this requires moodle 2.5 and i am a bit undecided on whether to  wait for more moodle 2.5 releases or just switch now.  i want to avoid future bugs. thank you all in advance for your advice. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zeid Fanous

Re: upgrade to Moodle 2.5

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The schools of thought on upgrading vary widely here from people who jump on every new version to people who would rather never upgrade. There are potential issues with each... If you upgrade right away, you risk there being issues with core features that impact your ability to use the software. This happened to us last year with Moodle 2.3.

Generally, I like to let new release sit for 4 to 6 months to let others shake out the problems before upgrading. But we liked some of the new features in 2.3 and made the jump right away last year. The new features were great. Unfortunately, it broke some things that took months to fully resolve.

And for the other end of the spectrum, not upgrading exposes you to possible security holes as the software gets older, and can make the work necessary to upgrade much larger when you need to make the jump. And that's why I'm in the middle.

I don't know of any serious issues with 2.5. If there was something in it we "had to have", I'd probably install it. But for us, there's no compelling reason to jump now, so I'm waiting for our next break in December.

In other words, it's not something we can decide for you. You just have to weigh the risks vs benefits and choose...