My Messages - random character strings

My Messages - random character strings

by Sue M. -
Number of replies: 5

I'm assuming that the formatting for sending regular emails is what is causing this issue, but can't find how to disable it. Onsite "My Messages" show random strings of characters, for example when essays are graded in lessons and they're emailed, they show up as:

> [essay image]Another type of question you may encounter in a lesson is
> the Essay question. You will be asked a question or given a writing
> prompt, which you will answer in the box provided.
>
> Answer the following essay question in the box provided below:
>
> "What do you like about essay questions?"

Your response:

> _<p>They give an opportunity to express yourself more</p>_

This is a big problem, any solutions?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sue M.

Re: My Messages - random character strings

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

This does not look like random strings of characters, they are, as you identified, the markup of the email. AFAIK, there is no provision for formatting text in the default internal Messenger. There may be a plugin that will get around this issue, but it would be recent and I have not run across one.   

In reply to Sue M.

by Douglas Broad -

Sue,

The appearance of the text will depend on the format you choose below the box.  If I paste your text into a label and use the Moodle Autoformat, the message looks fine.  If I use Markdown, it looks OK.  If I use plain text, I get what you see.

> translates to the "greater than" symbol which is typically used to quote sections being replied to.

&lt;p&gt; translates to an html paragraph tag "<p>"

In reply to Douglas Broad

by Sue M. -

Is there a spot to change how it shows up when the students click "my messages"? I can't find anything in the administration to adjust how this shows up.

In reply to Sue M.

by Janis Fair -

Hi Sue,

I'm having the same issue with those tags showing up in student 'my messages' from lesson essays. Have you come up with any solution or work-around?

Janis

In reply to Janis Fair

by Jim Judges -

One year since the thread started and this is still a problem for us in Moodle 2.6.2, see the sample screenshot below.

Any help appreciated.

Jim

Attachment 2Image 14.png