General help

Picture of Kiran Tej Pratha
Emails not sent to some emails like live.com.au, outlook etc

Hi,

I am using Moodle 2.4.3. Some users are registering using live.co.au, outlook.com, etc. They are not getting registration emails. 

I left out the SMTP port settings blank, but other emails like gmail.com are receiving the messages sent from the server

I am struck here, as users are registering but didn't receive the notification emails. 

Thanks,

Kiran

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Matthew Spurrier
Re: Emails not sent to some emails like live.com.au, outlook etc
Group Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Mail servers such as those used with live, outlook, gmail, et al, will be using heavy spam mitigation techniques.

More than likely, what's happening is you're sending out emails from a server that is not listed in the domain's SPF (sender policy framework) DNS entry, or potentially a DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) violation, and/or does not adhere to other requirements, such as a valid PTR (reverse DNS) on the IP of the server, with a matching A record pointing back to it, etc.

There are many potential issues that could be causing the failure, however these are generally the most common, and a great place to start.

Matt

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I agree with Matt.  I recently encountered the same problem with a client who was hosted on a shared server.  The MX TXT field was not configured properly.  Check the email error logs to see why the emails are being rejected.  Also use something like http://mxtoolbox.com/ to check the server configuration.

-Floyd

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Keith C

I agree with Floyd.  Check the server logs and sent mails folder of the outgoing mailbox moodle is using.  You have to do a little digging to get the answer but it's worth it...if you don't find any bounced mails that means the server on the other side is accepting them and doing something with them.  Others might have bounced back.  You just have to find the domains that are not handling your mail the way you would like and then make adjustments on your side as needed.

Average of ratings: -