Emails not sent to some emails like live.com.au, outlook etc

Emails not sent to some emails like live.com.au, outlook etc

by Kiran Tej Pratha -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I am using Moodle 2.4.3. Some users are registering using live.co.au, outlook.com, etc. They are not getting registration emails. 

I left out the SMTP port settings blank, but other emails like gmail.com are receiving the messages sent from the server

I am struck here, as users are registering but didn't receive the notification emails. 

Thanks,

Kiran

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kiran Tej Pratha

Re: Emails not sent to some emails like live.com.au, outlook etc

by Matt Spurrier -

Mail servers such as those used with live, outlook, gmail, et al, will be using heavy spam mitigation techniques.

More than likely, what's happening is you're sending out emails from a server that is not listed in the domain's SPF (sender policy framework) DNS entry, or potentially a DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) violation, and/or does not adhere to other requirements, such as a valid PTR (reverse DNS) on the IP of the server, with a matching A record pointing back to it, etc.

There are many potential issues that could be causing the failure, however these are generally the most common, and a great place to start.

Matt

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Spurrier

by Ryan Diks -

I'm running into a similar issue on our Moodle platform.  Messages that are sent out with a "From" of an @yahoo.com domain are being bounced as spam due to Yahoo's stronger DKIM policy.  I researched this issue because it started happening on a Wordpress with Getresponse forms install and the solution, along with correcting our personal DNS files was to set the FROM and REPLY-TO fields correctly.

Reply-To: personsending@theirdomain.com

How do I do this in Moodle?  It looks like I need to edit the class.phpmailer.php file in /lib/phpmailer, but I'm pretty useless at PHP.  Essentially, I want to add the Reply-To field into each message and hardcode the From field.

Headers from a bounced message look like this:

grant@globalfrontiermissions.com

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

host aspmx.l.google.com [173.194.64.26]: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not accepted due to domain's

550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact administrator of yahoo.com domain if

550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit

550-5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about DMARC

550 5.7.1 initiative. mc5si4554725obb.42 - gsmtp

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <mtsonline@globalfrontiermissions.com>

Received: from gfmstaff by gator3100.hostgator.com with local (Exim 4.82)

(envelope-from <mtsonline@globalfrontiermissions.com>)

id 1WkmGH-0001ZQ-5J

for grant@globalfrontiermissions.com; Wed, 14 May 2014 22:23:13 -0500

To: "Grant Haynes" <grant@globalfrontiermissions.com>

Subject: Brian  Galloway has completed 100 Questions - Unveiled at Last

X-PHP-Script: missionarytrainingschool.com/moodle/mod/quiz/processattempt.php for 73.53.111.176

Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 22:23:13 -0500

Message-ID: <255e2576f7a587f4738839097130a7d3@missionarytrainingschool.com>

X-Priority: 3

X-Mailer: PHPMailer Moodle 2013111801.01 (https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/)

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

In reply to Kiran Tej Pratha

by Floyd Saner -

I agree with Matt.  I recently encountered the same problem with a client who was hosted on a shared server.  The MX TXT field was not configured properly.  Check the email error logs to see why the emails are being rejected.  Also use something like http://mxtoolbox.com/ to check the server configuration.

-Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by Keith C -

I agree with Floyd.  Check the server logs and sent mails folder of the outgoing mailbox moodle is using.  You have to do a little digging to get the answer but it's worth it...if you don't find any bounced mails that means the server on the other side is accepting them and doing something with them.  Others might have bounced back.  You just have to find the domains that are not handling your mail the way you would like and then make adjustments on your side as needed.