Courses not displaying in course cataegory - upgrade to 2.5.2

Courses not displaying in course cataegory - upgrade to 2.5.2

by Michael Otto -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Everyone

I am currently experiencing a problem where my courses are not displaying in a category after upgrading to version 2.5.2. As best as I can tell, the upgrade went flawlessly with no errors. The courses are still there (i.e. I can link to them) but they simply wont appear in the category itself:

http://whitelotussystem.com/course/index.php?categoryid=193&browse=categories

Anyone have any thoughts?

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Otto

Re: Courses not displaying in course cataegory - upgrade to 2.5.2

by ATCNB IT -

I've got the exact same problem. Navigation still works via the side menu, just not the category pages itself. Purging caches didn't help.

Running on Nginx with PHP Version 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.7

In reply to ATCNB IT

by ATCNB IT -

Hello again!

I have been able to fix our broken 2.5.2 Moodle site by reconverting the database to UTF8 again as per the Linux/SED mysql dump instructions here.

I didn't have to do any rolling back or upgrades again.

In reply to ATCNB IT

by Michael Otto -

Great - glad it worked for you as well.

In reply to Michael Otto

by Antti Peltonen -

Hi from Oulu, Finland,

Same problem here. After 2.5.2 update only the front page course lists are visible, but course categories are empty.

Actually, courses are still there, but they are visible only on top level front page list. You can see them through "manage categories".

-Antti-

In reply to Antti Peltonen

by Michael Otto -

Hi everyone

Out of necessity, I have tried multiple methods of restoration. Fortunately I was forward thinking enough to back up the moodle data using mutiple methods - I was able to get all the courses visible by:

1) Exporting my moodle database (mysqldump -h example.com -u myusername --password=mypassword -C -Q -e --create-options mydatabasename > moodle-database.sql) (from http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Site_backup)

2) Dropping the old database and creating a new database, ensuring UTF-8 encoding.

3) Doing a full restore of database in 2.4 format

4) Upgrading normally

The difference I believe is the forced encoding. I will do a test tonight to confirm and let everyone know. As I understand it, anything but UTF-8 may have limitations in terms of length of displayed information.

In reply to Michael Otto

by Michael Otto -

Confirmed - by restoring my moodle database and ensuring UTF-8 encoding, I am now able to see all the courses. Feel free to take a look:

http://whitelotussystem.com/course/index.php?categoryid=193

In saying that, I am guessing certain site elements were so old that I lost some links to some pictures in the restore. This is not a big deal at least for us. All the written content is in place and the pictures are readily resubmitted.

Take care all