Multiple Choice - Penalty for wrong answers

Multiple Choice - Penalty for wrong answers

by G Ganesh Kumar -
Number of replies: 4

Hai Moodle Team,

I am new to Moodle and I am using Moodle 2.5

I am trying the grading method for multiple choice questions. Based on the students point of view, If answer is not known clearly they simple answer any one of the four option given.  To avoid that, I want to implement negative marks for wrong answers.  Either the question may in True/False mode or Multiple Choice Mode.

Hoping that this will make students to read the questions properly.  Your suggestion will help us configure moodle successfully in our college and will engage moodle for all branches in our college.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to G Ganesh Kumar

Re: Multiple Choice - Penalty for wrong answers

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

Rather than giving "negative marks", to encourage students to think before answering questions you might use the Certainty Based Marking feature of the Quiz. See the documentation here and especially the link at the bottom of that page.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can do that.

When you create the questions, set a negative grade for each wrong answer.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by G Ganesh Kumar -

I checked that. But the negative grade is not applied to the students.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In the quiz settings, what is 'How questions behave set to'?

Preview a question, and try various different values for that settings to see what happens.