Frustration getting started. I just want to set up a course.

Frustration getting started. I just want to set up a course.

by Michelle Donati -
Number of replies: 7

I teach one course, several classes per week. My school system uses Moodle. As a parent, I have asked many teachers why they won't use Moodle and they say it is too difficult and time consuming. I tried to set up a Moodle page for my classes last spring and after a full day of getting nowhere, I put it aside. Now my blank Moodle page is no longer showing on the school's website.

Today I spent about 6 hours and have nothing done. I set up a new Moodle account. I read the instructions for setting up a new course many times. The buttons to click on simply don't exist on my Moodle Home. I downloaded the Moodle software on my Mac after spending an hour making space for it.  I installed. (Why? Can't this be done all online?) After installing and using the installer proerly to put the program in my applications folder, I get an error box telling me it can't open until I put it in my applications folder. Uninstalled, deleted. Dis it all over. Same problem. Backed out and located it IN my Applications folder. Clicked on it. Got an error message that I have to put it in my Applications folder. 

Can't I just log in and set up a Class Page without all this hassle? An explanation of how this is sone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michelle Donati

Re: Frustration getting started. I just want to set up a course.

by Keith C -

I'm not going to try and help with whatever you are saying about trying to install Moodle on a mac.  That is not something you want to do.

Moodle is a very nice tool for managing your curriculum.  However, it can be complicated and there is a learning curve.  I can honestly say that setting up your course with Moodle is more work than just doing it the old fashioned way ... but there are big benefits especially if you can continue to teach the curriculum you spent the time designing in Moodle.

You just have to assess your skills both with the technology and the application and then be reasonable with yourself about the expectations.  You need to be patient with yourself.  Getting frustrated is going to get you no where!

You have done the right thing asking for help.

What version of Moodle are you using?

Your school district has set you up with a moodle account I assume.  You likely do not have the rights to create a course yourself.  Do you have a course created for you to get started?  You will be going into your course and then adding activities and other Moodle tools to teach your course with.  As I read through I got the feeling you don't even have a course and that is where your frustrations might lie.

Finally, if people in your district want you to teach with Moodle they should be willing to make an investment in some support for you.  Certainly, you can do it on your own--many of us did.  However, it's going to take longer and you need to have patience to develop the skills.

In reply to Keith C

by Keith C -

Show us a link to where your Moodle "home" is maybe we can get an idea of what's going on there just by seeing the interface.  Also, make sure to tell us what version of Moodle you are trying to use.  Moodle has iterated through a lot of versions and all installations aren't always updated like you are familiar with Window.  There are a lot of other concerns about migrating applications between versions.  You need to make sure you are reading the proper documentation for the version of the application you are using.

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Michelle

As Visvanath stated, you need to work with your specific school's Moodle administrator. There are so many settings that can be enabled or disabled at the admin level, so it is critical you know what you have available to you.

Your first step once in your course it to turn editing on, and then add resources (items to help students) and activities (work to be done by the student which can be graded or not).

You school should really have someone there to support you in your in their specific Moodle.