Hotmail rejecting Moodle emails

Hotmail rejecting Moodle emails

by Glenn Pillsbury -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle 2.4.5

Apologies if email questions are answered somewhere else, but I'm hoping you can help me.

My server logs show that a message sent to a hotmail.com address was rejected by hotmail.  The message sent by hotmail to my email log was "Message could not be delivered. Please ensure the message is RFC 5322 compliant."

Any idea what this means?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenn Pillsbury

Re: Hotmail rejecting Moodle emails

by Frank B -

What MTA(mail transport agent) are you using on your server?

In reply to Frank B

by Glenn Pillsbury -

Thanks for the response.  I believe it's postfix.  Does that make sense?

by Frank B -

It might be related to lacking an SPF record on your domain. But until you extract the actual postfix error number (i.e, 4.7.1) it's hard to tell. Try extracting the error from /var/log/mail.log

try: cat /var/log/mail.log|grep error

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Two things ... (maybe) ... check the noreply to address in the config of Moodle.  The reference to RFC compliance indicates there might be something 'funny'/different in that users hotmail EMail address as recorded in users profile.  Any unusual (abnormal) things in the addy?

Postfix appears to be attempting to deliver, but HotMail rejects.  Does the rejection notice give any other number other than RFC compliance number?

Check maillogs of your server ... might see information/clue there.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Glenn Pillsbury -

Thanks again, guys.  Here's the full entry from the mail log of an example message (I've xxx'd out the complete email address):

Aug 25 10:21:10 moodle postfix/smtp[9694]: 913A9A44B6: to=<xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>, relay=mx3.hotmail.com[65.55.37.72]:25, delay=0.49, delays=0.01/0/0.21/0.26, dsn=5.7.0, status=bounced (host mx3.hotmail.com[65.55.37.72] said: 550 5.7.0 (COL0-MC1-F36) Message could not be delivered. Please ensure the message is RFC 5322 compliant. (in reply to end of DATA command))

I'm wondering if the "550 5.7.0" part is a clue?

By the way, the noreply setting was blank, so I put something in the box.  We'll see if that also makes a difference.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, IF I were still running a mail server and responsible for config, I think I'd look at rejecting any message that had no replyto in the header. ;)

If you have access to root mail (or whatever user gets bounce notices, etc, from server), one might be able to inspect the message that was returned/rejected and see if it really does comply with RFC guidelines.

Think it's funny that hotmail (of all places) would reject due to non-compliance.

Here's hoping that the noreply entry will suffice.  If hotmail continues, you might suggest to those using it to acquire another freebie.  My 2 cents, of course!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Glenn Pillsbury -

Just wanted to follow up.

Fixing the no-reply seems to have done the trick.  After two days, the only messages being bounced now are to email addresses that are flagged by the receiving server as either non-existant or suspended.  All other legitimate messages are being delivered.

Thanks again!