1.5 style documentation?

1.5 style documentation?

by Jim Proctor -
Number of replies: 11
Having just upgraded from 1.4.3+ to 1.5dev and after many hours sleuthing out which styles have been applied to what, with only mixed results (including viewing sourcecode and reading the excellent background information posted by Urs Hunkler), I must say that it's not easy doing any major changes of the 1.5 themes due to the large and not entirely intuitive number of styles invoked. Possibly a bit of documentation would be in order, or I'm open to pointers.

One problem, for example, is that this particular site I upgraded uses a background image behind the whole page, which means that each cell requires a light background color to make text readable. Are there any others out there who use background images for their pages and who have successfully twiddled with all the 1.5 styles?

Thanks --

Jim P.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Proctor

Re: 1.5 style documentation?

by Jeffery Watkins -
Jim,

Where is your Moodle site.  I can probably help you fix your theme problems.

Jeff

P.S.  The best way to figure the styles out on any page is to use Firefox with the Web Developer extension.  It will allow you to show all css styles on any given page.  The use of that, and basic experimentation, will take away most of the mysteries of CSS.
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Jim Proctor -
Thanks; my nonprofit's site is at http://www.aldercreek.org. You may click on e.g. Calendar or Forest Quiz or Teachers among other ways to get to the Moodle site, which as you can tell is supposed to look like the rest of the site, and it did quite closely with 1.4. You'll see some border glitches with the non-main page header that I just can't figure out how to undo.

I downloaded and installed the Firefox extension, and realized by using it that in addition to styles defined in the theme folder each module folder has its own optional styles as well, so that's where I'll hunt next. Again, I don't think this would have been as much work if I didn't e.g. have a background image that necessitates background colors in all cells.

One question: for this go-around I decided to modify the standardlogo theme to suit my purposes, but realized soon into it that I was modifying the default standard theme stylesheets substantially...that was I thought a no-no if I wished to benefit from future upgrades to the standard theme, but seemed impossible to avoid for e.g. font color changes. Perhaps some advice on how to override the standard theme (possibly as easy as placing duplicate style specifications in my modified theme, then somehow referring to them in config.php?) would be handy.

Regards,

Jim P.
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Jeffery Watkins -
Jim,

1.4 themes are not compatible with 1.5 so you cannot simply copy the theme folder from one installation to the next.

Here is what you should do:

Make a copy of a clean 1.5 standard theme.
Rename it to your custom name.
Copy your graphics from the 1.4 folder to the new custom 1.5 theme.
Start altering the different stylesheets in the new 1.5 theme.  There should be four of them...styles_colors.css, styles_fonts.css, styles_layout.css, and styles_moz.css.

They are self explanatory.  Using the web developer extension you can search out the different styles you need to change to match your old theme.

You should not have to modify anything in any other folder.

The complete list of files in a 1.5 theme should be:

config.php
docstyles.php
footer.html
header.html
favicon.ico
styles_colors.css
styles_fonts.css
styles_layout.css
styles_moz.css
and a pix folder.

If you continue to have trouble.  Zip up the old 1.4 theme and email it to me and I will convert it to a 1.5 theme for you.

Jeff

by Jim Proctor -
Yes, certainly, I'm aware that 1.4 themes don't work in 1.5...I had done exactly what you recommend, starting with standardlogo (in 1.4 I started with formal_white). Attached is my old 1.4 theme; I'll probably give it a go (e.g. try to fix current problems with the Calendar styles) when I surface next wk.

Thanks for all your help,

Jim
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Jeffery Watkins -
I can make this into a 1.5 theme for you.  Should be able to do it today.

Jeff

by Jim Proctor -
The attached should make it a bit easier to figure out what the heck I'm trying to do...this is a screenshot from my 1.4 installation...thanks!

Btw, I realize that the standard v1.5 theme apparently places the logo only on the main page, with a smaller header on subsequent pages to save vertical space...that's different than what you'll see here.

Regards,

Jim
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Jeffery Watkins -
Jim,

Take a look here: http://www.classroomrevolution.com/moodle15/moodle/

I think I have it the way you want.

I will send to you zipped up.

Jeff

by Umar Akram -

Hi Jeffery,

I really like this Theme, it's GrEaT. Any chance of you forwarding me a copy so that i can play around with it for further ideas on my own theme that i'm in the middle of creating.

My e-mail is  staff647@hereward.ac.uk

Many Thanks

Umar.

In reply to Umar Akram

by Jeffery Watkins -
Umar,

That is my test site and I am constantly changing themes so I am not sure which one you saw.  But, if you go to www.classroomrevolution.com and click on Themes in the left side menu, then click on Moodle 1.5, I have three 1.5 theme free for download.

If it is not one of those three, describe it to me and I will see if I can send it.

jeff

by Andy Mansker -

Jeff,

Any chance you could email that theme to me also? Do you have the psd file? I want to make a custom 1.5 theme and it looks like this is a good starting point, right?

andy@manskerconsulting.com

thanks,

andy

In reply to Andy Mansker

by Jeffery Watkins -
andy,

If it is the theme that is on there right nor, CR-CoolBlueOrb, you can download it from www.classroomrevolution.com by clicking on Themes in the left side menu, then on Moodle 1.5.

If that is the one, let me know and I will forward the header psd file on to you.

Jeff