I Have Badge Confusion. Please help

I Have Badge Confusion. Please help

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 8

Moodle 2.5.1

I am confused. I am an admin of my site, and put myself in as a teacher in a course.

I created an image at 90 x 90 and then created it as a badge. It shows up fine.

However, when I try to award this badge to some fictitious students in my test course, I cannot see any students at all in the recipients list. What is stopping me from seeing students so I can award them badges? I am missing something fundamental, I am sure. But what is it? Please tell me what menus to access to enable this service properly. I looked in the Docs, but obviously overlooked a step.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: I Have Badge Confusion. Please help

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ok -have you clicked to enable access? Are you awarding this badge manually with the teacher role? When you have clicked to enable access- then when you click to award the badge either by clicking the award badge button at the bottom of the overview or from the Recipients page, are you saying that you do not see any students in the"Potential badge recipients" list?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Doug Moody -

Thank  you ladies. I solved the problem (sort of)

It had to do with the authenticated user and student roles. They were not set to allow for those roles that had to do with moodle/badges.

But now I have two new questions...

First, when a user clicks on the badge or is awarded a new badge, there is a "Download" button. What's the purpose of this? How is it to be used?

Secondly, I noticed that when I delete a badge from Moodle, it continues to show up for students. Is it possible to award a badge, then delete them? For example, if a teacher had mistakenly awarded one, or, if a student committed fraud that was later discovered... Can you check and see if this happens for you?

Thirdly, I am wondering if I have to create all badges myself? I know that Mozilla has backpacks, but seeing as I am not using emails to award badges, where can I get a collection of badges? If I get them is the best place to put them in the repository?

Thank you both for the quick response.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

(1) The download button is just that - so students can download their badge to use elsewhere, offline in an email, a presentation, a CV somewhere, whatever

(2) I don't think you can award badges and delete them and so afaik if you make a mistake it's tough! Certainly if you upload an image that you don't like and you want to change it then you can't.

(3) You don't have to create badges all yourself - you could search around for Public domain or Creative commons images and use them, or look for sites which are offering free non-copyrighted images to use.

(3)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Doug Moody

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Doug

You might want to check out this http://openbadges.learningassistant.com/ from Mozilla on Open Badges. It will explain most of the background to answer your questions.

Badges are not something created by or for Moodle, but an implementation in Moodle of Open Badges, which is an open source project made by Mozilla, already in use by lots of software in many industries besides education.

To address your specific items:

1) Badges are downloadable since the whole idea is they belong to the person issued to, the recipient.  The recipient can download them to save to a badges collection known as the "backpack" - which is theirs and has nothing in particular to do with Moodle at all.

2) This is on purpose: badge templates deleted at the system or course level are archived, not truly deleted.

This follows the Open Badges principle that once awarded, a badge belongs to the recipient, not the issuer. So badge once issued exist on its own, regardless of the status of the original badge template it came from. (My old junior high school exists no more, but I still have my diploma.)

An issued badge has a unique URL that goes back to your Moodle site to allow validation. It needs to find information such as issuer, criteria, and other evidence of its validity somewhere. While the original template badge may not be active anymore, that data is required for reference ("evidence").

Currently, badges issued in error (for whatever reason) don't yet have a method of "revocation." Mozilla is very aware and working on how to do that.

3) You don't have to make the images, as Mary noted, but you do have to make each badge. That is, you have to create each badge in Moodle with its criteria and so forth. A badge is the image file + the metadata associated with its recipient, issuer, criteria, a unique identifier, and so forth, and this metadata is 'baked' into it when it is awarded and issue to a user.

Basically, once awarded, a badge is on its own out in the world, property of its recipient. Revocation will arrive one day, but as always ...

Award wisely ;)

In reply to Doug Moody

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you set criteria for the badge and have the students completed it?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Doug Moody -

Emma,

These badges are awarded manually, by role. Not by completion criteria.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Simon Coggins -

Hi Doug,

Just one more thing to check - are the students you are trying to award the badge to enrolled in the course? For course badges, they must be enrolled to be available to award the badge to.

Simon

In reply to Simon Coggins

by Simon Coggins -

Also, there is a capability - 'moodle/badges:earnbadge', you need that in the course context to be able to receive badges so you might want to double check your permission settings.

Simon