Grader report Course Total Column - Change from Average to Total

Grader report Course Total Column - Change from Average to Total

by Chris Wells -
Number of replies: 4

On the grader report, there is a Course Total column.

This column seems to show the course grade AVERAGE rather than the true TOTAL. For reference, I would assume a total be the sum of the marks achieved all quizzes / possible total marks for all quizzes * 100 to get the ACTUAL percentage value.

Is there a way to make Moodle behave itself in this respect?

Thanks - any help would be massively appreciated.

In reply to Chris Wells

Re: Grader report Course Total Column - Change from Average to Total

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Showing the grade average is an option found in Admin/Grades/Report/Grader settings.  You can change how the average displays (for example you can pick to show this in percentage format) and you can choose to show the range of grades but not a total...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Wells -

Is there a way to show it as a number of correct answers?

For example, if the student got 23/30 correct on one course and 12/15 right on another, it would show 35?

Thanks.

In reply to Chris Wells

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Switch the Grade Display type to Real.  This is found under admin/grades/grade item settings.

In reply to Chris Wells

by Bob Puffer -

Moodle has long stuck to the concept that all assignments, quizzes, etc will always be worth 100 points.  It is only recently that MD has pushed for assignments (and then other mods) to exceed 100 points easily (people have hacked this for seven years).

The 'Real' display of the gradebook is based off from that concept so it 'really' only duplicates the percentage (your average).  Sum of grades aggregation type will give you the total of the points but if you ever have to convert it to a letter grade, it is incapable of excluding ungraded items so everybody gets an 'F' until all the work is done.

This is the single most important factor in my creating the LAE Grader report.  When 'Accuratepoints' is turned on (default) and you display a 'real' grade you get the REAL grade.  It does not alter values in Moodle's grade tables, calcs on the fly.  There are a lot of other solutions to pita gradebook problems it provides.  You can get it in the Moodle plugins area or on my github.  I hear from people all over the world using it.