[2.3.2] Instructors receiving copies of all forum posts

[2.3.2] Instructors receiving copies of all forum posts

by Richard Crawford -
Number of replies: 3

Using Moodle 2.3.2.

We have a situation where all of our instructors and course managers are receiving all email notifications of all forum posts despite not being subscribed to them. I've looked in all the settings, and double checked to make sure that the users are not subscribed to the forums.

Is there a setting that controls this, and can I switch it off?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Crawford

Re: [2.3.2] Instructors receiving copies of all forum posts

by Floyd Saner -

Richard,

Do the following steps in the order listed.

Check their user profiles.  There is a setting, "Forum auto-subscribe," which is set to yes by default.  

Then check the settings for each forum.   Be certain the "Subscription mode" is set to Optional  or set to Disabled.

Then clear the subscriptions to each forum.

-Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Richard Crawford -

Hi Floyd,

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

I did check to make sure that the instructors who were receiving the email notifications were not subscribed to the forum. They are not, but they are still receiving notifications.

I'm not sure I want to clear the subscriptions to the forums, because we want our students to continue receiving notifications to the forums they participate in.

In reply to Richard Crawford

by Floyd Saner -

Well, Richard, this is strange.  Most complaints are about users not receiving emails of posts when they are subscribed to a forum.

Maybe someone else can help out here.  For now, go to each teacher's profile and change the "Email digest type" field to "Subjects (daily email with subjects only)".  That way they should receive only one email each day with all the posted subject headings.

Are you totally certain the emails they receive are coming from the courses and system you are working on?  I know that sounds like a crazy question, but I can't figure out why they continue to receive email notifications if they are not subscribed to the forum. 

Check out several of the emails the teachers receive - click on the link that goes back to the forum post and see where you end up.

The only forum that forces subscription is the News Forum, but students cannot post to that.

This is puzzling - keep posting here so we can find a solution.

- Floyd