Restricting enrolment

Restricting enrolment

by Khalil Muhsin -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, I am having a very difficult time understanding the enrolment keys. I have courses set up on moodle 2.0 in running my tests, students have access to all of the courses with no restriction despite me setting up enrolment keys. Can anyone help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Khalil Muhsin

Re: Restricting enrolment

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Do you have guest access set up in your courses? Have you given your students a site wide role or have you just enrolled them into their individual courses?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Khalil Muhsin -

Guest access is not set up in the courses. I am not sure about the site wide role as compared to the individual courses...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well those are two possible reasons why your students can access all the courses without the enrolment key working. Can you check in Site adminstration>Users>Permissions>Assign system roles that the student role is not there (or see which roles are there)?  This should not be the case by default as you can only add students to courses not the site as a whole. Can you also confirm these students have not been already added manually to the course by you or someone? In which case the enrolment key has no use.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Khalil Muhsin -

Mary, there has been no manual enrolments, and the student role that you refer too is not there. If you notice the course where I assigned an enrolment key actual shows an small icon with a key there...but when the student clicks on the link there is nothing coming up that requires him to enter the actual key (see snapshop)

Attachment enrolment key.JPG

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Please post a screen shot of the course settings.  Also, check that you are not using a test student account to check that actually is also an admin.