How to set up jumps in questions after a lesson?

How to set up jumps in questions after a lesson?

by Sebastian Henze -
Number of replies: 5

Hello community.

I've created a lesson in Moodle 2.5, consisting of several content pages. After that, I wanted to set up a couple of questions (like 3-4) just for the students to check for themselves if they understood the lesson. Re-takes are allowed.

What I had in mind was something like a flashcard system, if the question was answered correctly, the question will not be showed again, however if answered not correctly the question goes back "into the queue" to be shown again. That way, the lesson can only be completed if every question was answered correctly.

I'm not sure if this is possible with the jump options I have. I have set the right answer to next page (which works) and the wrong answers to previous page (which doesn't work, the next question shows up after the "you were wrong" screen).
Is this a bug, that the previous page jump doesn't work? What would be an ideal way to set up a couple of questions after a lesson? Maybe I misunderstood the concept of the quiz lessons and should use "real" quizes instead?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sebastian Henze

Re: How to set up jumps in questions after a lesson?

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Sebastian

You can specify the page name instead of using previous page option.

Moreover I want to know you want to take a student to content page or back to question page if it answers incorrectly.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Sebastian Henze -

Hi Sakshi,

Ah okay, so I would need to make an absolute jump back to the question page for every wrong answer..? I guess that would work, yes. A randomized order would be better though... hm.

I'd like to go to a question page. First there are like 8-9 content pages and after that some questions. As of now I'm not planning to insert clusters, and jumping back to content pages wouldn't make sense because then a student would need to click through the content and the questions again.

Thanks for your answer.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sebastian,

Sorry, but it is still not clear to me what you want to achieve, from your original post nor from your answer to Sakshi's reply.

This is the usual scenario in a Lesson. Please tell us if this is what you want or, if not, please give us a detailed scenario.

• Page 1 : Content page -> go to next page
  • Page 2 : Content page-> go to next page
  • Page 9 : Content page-> go to next page
  • Page 10 Question page. Multiple Choice question
    • Correct answer -> Go to next page (Page 11)
    • Wrong answer #1 -> Remain on page 10 ("This page")
    • Wrong answer #2 -> Remain on page 10 ("This page")
  • Page 11...

Given the complexity of the Lesson activity and especially the large number of options offered on the settings page, it is quite impossible to give advice if you do not post here the complete settings of your lesson.

If - I'm trying to guess - what you want is for your students to keep trying answering your MCQ questions until they get them correct, then of course in your Lesson settings, Flow control section you must set the Maximum number of attempts to more than 1.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Sebastian Henze -

Hi Joseph,

I'll try to be more specific. In the attachment is a lesson I created. First there are 4 content pages, then 2 question pages. So I'd say I built it in a way what you described as a usual scenario. Right now, when a student gives the wrong answer, it jumps to the next question and not to the one just answered wrongly.

BUT I think you are right, the Flow Settings are wrong. As you can see, the attempt number was set to one. I think that was the problem then. I'll read up on the Flow control settings because I haven't touched them yet. Thanks a lot!

Attachment Unbenannt.jpg
Attachment Unbenannt2.jpg

by Nalaka Sethunga -

Hi Joseph,

according to my view the better way(or the way i need) of jumping is jumping to unanswered questions (means answered incorrectly) along the way to the end randomly(like a flashcard set).  for example if i name the question as 1,2,3,4,5,6,... according to the creation, if question "2"  is answered incorrectly,

showing the lesson in a random order in a similar way as following,

3-ok,

5-ok,

2-X,

6-ok,

1-ok,

2-ok,

4-ok

i tried it in so many ways, setting jumping randomly to unanswered questions. but yet no results.

could you please help me on this,

and could you explain

1. "next page" means the page next according to lesson, or the next page according to random jump

and

2. how to show the feed back of one question on the same page(the page generated calling "view.php" ) rather than in the feedback page(generated calling "continue.php")