Show editing tools 2.5 as default?

Show editing tools 2.5 as default?

by Barbara Taylor -
Number of replies: 10

How can we change it from a plain text editor to showing the editing tools by default?

Thank you,

Barbara

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barbara Taylor

Re: Show editing tools 2.5 as default?

by anna ko -

Hello Barbara

i was wondering the same question.. Did you find an answer meanwhile?

Thanks,

Ana

In reply to anna ko

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Barbara and Anna

U want to show HTML editor to be default instead of plain text then you can go to Administration ▶ Site administration  ▶ Plugins  ▶ Text editors  ▶ Manage editors . And keep the Tiny MCE HTML editor at the top then when you edit a page it will be default.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Paul P. -

Hi Sakshi,

I don't think your solution works - what you describe is to have the Tiny MCE editor as the default editor.  Barbara and Anna are wondering how to have the editing tools of Tiny MCE shown by default instead of having to click the  "Show editing tools" button, which appears in place of the editing icons in the Tiny MCE editor since Moodle 2.5 in assignments and activities.

If you (or anyone else) knows a way to turn off this behavior, I would appreciate as knowing how to do this as well.

Thanks,

Paul

In reply to Paul P.

by Tony Harris -

I agree with Paul.  The issue is that in Moodle 2.5 the TinyMCE editor has been changed so it does not show the toolbar unless you click the "Show editing tools" button.  This is confusing to many users, and at least at our institution we have gotten requests to change the default behaviour so the toolbars show by default.

I had posted another thread on this, but never got a solution.  I will second Paul's call that if anyone knows how to do this, I would very much appreciate them sharing that.

Thanks!

In reply to Tony Harris

by Timothy Beach -

If yours is giving you the show editing tool option, consider yourselves lucky.  Mine doesn't even appear, nor does the expand all function work.  Nothing we've tried so far has resolved this problem!

Timothy Beach

In reply to Tony Harris

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I don't have a solution to this, but I have posted an improvement request in the tracker:

"Make it possible to show the TinyMCE HTML editor tools as default"

MDL-41747

Please vote for it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tony Harris

by Alan Kmiecik -

From an interface design point of view it is really pointless.  Save very little in the way of real estate, causes to user an unnecessary click, causes confusion.  

Would love to hear the logic of why this is a good thing.

In reply to Barbara Taylor

by Peter Stacey -

I've found a simple hack in 2.51 to make it show the expanded form by default - it doesn't show the toggle at all.

Unfortunately it does require access to the server files and editing core code (but only changing one word!)

in /course/moodleform_mod.php

In the function add_intro_editor

edit the line
        $mform->addElement('editor', 'introeditor', $label, array('rows' => 10), array('maxfiles' => EDITOR_UNLIMITED_FILES,
            'noclean' => true, 'context' => $this->context, 'collapsed' => true));

and change 'collapsed' => true  to  'collapsed' => false

It's a shame that it's necessary to edit core code to do this but at least it provides an interim solution.

Peter

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Stacey

by Peter Stacey -

Just to update..  In 2.9 the toggle can be disabled by  hiding the Toolbar Toggle button in the TinyMCE Editor settings. So no code editing required any more, but still not as obvious as it might be.

Peter

In reply to Peter Stacey

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Also in Atto from  Site administration>Plugins>Text editors>Atto HTML editor>Atto toolbar settings, removing the setting 'collapse = collapse'. S from toolbar config box. Text editor FAQ