need to know who changed the role of an individual in the system

need to know who changed the role of an individual in the system

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
Number of replies: 4

Is there a way to find out who changed the role of a particular individual to system admin. The log file under reports does not show that. I know the date that it occurred. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

Re: need to know who changed the role of an individual in the system

by Doug Moody -

You can narrow down your suspects by creating a log report (site admin, reports, logs) Then, if you knew the approximate time it happened, you could see who was on that day and time and see what pages they were visiting. Does that help?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Ellen Marie Murphy -

HI Doug, The reports I'm able to get show that the individual I suspect accessed the home page and nothing else. I'm not able to show any admin, including myself, accessing the roles. If I could find out the date and time that the individual was made an admin (I've since removed that permission of course), I could know for almost certain who did it. Is there an SQL query I could write to extract that information (role changes and the dates and times)? We are on 2.4 hosted by Moodlerooms. I contacted them and was told there is no way to get that information, but it's kind of important and I'm not trusting that it's not possible.Thanks.

In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If it's not logged (and most admin functions are not) then the answer is 'no'. The number of people on your system with sufficient rights to do this should be very limited surely?

However, the web server access logs will show what pages where accessed, from what IP address and when. You'll need to get moodlerooms to provide that and I can see why they wouldn't want to  as it will require some digging.