Authenticating Google from Moodle

Authenticating Google from Moodle

by Matt Johnson -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

1st I'd like to say that yes there are huge numbers of these topics but of all of the ones that I've been able to find they are either very unhelpful, or very specific to a single problem, or moving in the wrong direction.

So if there is a topic that already mentions everything I need to know I do apologize I just was not able to find it.

So our college has been using 1.9 forever.  We're finally making the jump to 2.5 and naturally we're just starting from scratch in hopes of getting everything recorded and documented and done right.

Sadly, I have no real computer expertise let alone understand anything about authentication with Moodle or Google.  So please treat me like a baby if it's possible.

Now currently our Moodle authenticates off of our Active Directory.  Google Apps then authenticates off of Moodle from there.

We do not want to authenticate Moodle from Google.  We want to authenticate Google from Moodle using Moodle as the authority.  I guess this is called OAuth or Single Sign On.  I don't really understand the terminology or what's necessary.

From what I've been able to glean, our current google plugin that we use for 1.9 will not work in 2.5.  So we need a new one.  But all authentication options that I'm finding authenticate off of Google, they don't offer going in the other direction from Moodle to Google.

There was talk of using Moodle In Schools for New Zealand special version of Moodle but I really would prefer to use the stock Moodle if I could.

Can anyone offer pointers, a tutorial, a known topic that I've missed, or something that can help?

This isn't strictly necessary, I know, but once you've made this easy for students they don't want to go back to signing in twice if they can avoid it.

Thank you very much for any information you can give.  I'm just totally lost as to where to go.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Johnson

Re: Authenticating Google from Moodle

by Ashutosh Taunk -

Hi,

If I have understood it correctly, you want to Integrate Google Apps Education emails within Moodle. Have you read in through this ?

In reply to Ashutosh Taunk

Re: Authenticating Google from Moodle

by Matt Johnson -

Thank you for the reply.  I had assumed that article was unhelpful because it was pointing me toward the new zealand site for 2.0 compatibility.  I guess I just read that wrong. 

I will give those a go then.  Thank you very much.