Creating a group of linked questions within larger random quiz

Creating a group of linked questions within larger random quiz

by Kevin Bleier -
Number of replies: 3

Hello all.  I'm playing with the quiz functionality more in Moodle, but I would definitely call myself somewhat of a beginner.  I am using Moodle 2.4.4 right now.

I think I am doing fine right now with basic mutiple choice questions and categories, but I was hoping to be able to create a block of questions that all refer to one narrative (common to AP tests, where it might say "the next four questions refer to the following ... ")

So perhaps if students were taking a test, they would have randomized questions from other categories, but then would encounter this narrative block and answer those particular questions (could I even make those non-random so they answer those narrative questions in a particular order?  if not, I could live with that)

Tried to read up on the forum before posting, here's some of what I found (would like to confirm and expand):

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=175010 - this post discusses the Cloze type question as the way to go, which I have not used before.  I saw that the Hot Potatoes program might be a good tool for newbies, but not sure which tool to use.  JQuiz within Hot Potatoes looks like it would work for multiple choice questions, and I thought I saw that JCloze would only do gap-fill type questions.  So could I create a bunch of multiple choice questions in JQuiz with the narrative and then somehow import into a Moodle Quiz type Cloze question?

I also saw that the Moodle Cloze question was potentially up for changes ... so is there another way to achieve what I would like to do that would be easier?

Thanks for your help,

Kevin Bleier

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Bleier

Re: Creating a group of linked questions within larger random quiz

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Kevin,

If you replace the notion of "block" with that of "page" in a quiz, you can perfectly achieve what you want. Just place that "block" of "narrative questions" all on one page.

Or maybe I am totally misunderstanding you.thoughtful

Joseph

In reply to Kevin Bleier

by Joshua Bragg -

As pointed out already by Joseph, I think you can do this without Cloze questions.

The essential question is: Do you want the selection of the narrative to be random between the tests?  I don't think you do based on what I'm reading but I do want to check.

If the answer is yes, you'll probably have to depend on Cloze questions to group them together.  If you were running to 2.5 then you could also use the Combined question plugin from Open University.

If the answer is no then you can do this fairly easily.  You can mix random questions from a category with non-random questions.  Just make sure that shuffle questions is off in the quiz settings.  Then you can add random questions from a category at the bottom of the Question Bank Contents block.

So I think your edit page would look something like:

Random Question from Category A
Random Question from Category A
Random Question from Category B
Random Question from Category C

New Page
Narrative Text (Description Question)
Nonrandom Question #1
Nonrandom Question #2
Nonrandom Question #3

New Page
Random Question from Category D
Random Question from Category E

Hope that helps.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Kevin Bleier -

Thank you both - that makes sense to me.  I am still wrapping my head around all this, and so have started to create question banks but had not yet created quizzes to see how that part would come together.  I think Joshua's discussion above will be what I want.  I do not think I mind that students get the same narrative questions (other questions will be randomized).

Kevin Bleier