Need a second gradebook?

Need a second gradebook?

by Smaragda Vamvakari -
Number of replies: 6

Hi everyone

I have been reading this forum for years. the time has come for me to post my question.

I'm looking for a solution to this problem. 
I'm preparing to upgrade to 2.5 and i want to make mentor accounts so parents can log on , read the announcements and see their kids' grades.

I am looking for a way to show a gradebook of work outside moodle to parents The problem is that moodle work is not compulsory so it does not count in their final grade but i don't want to hide those grades either. 

Should I use something else instead of gradebook for the 'official grades" would those grades be visible only to the student's parent?

thanks 

In reply to Smaragda Vamvakari

Re: Need a second gradebook?

by Laura Farvour -

Hey Smaragda!

If you have a personal Gmail account, you could export the gradebook to an excel file and upload it into Google Drive. 

From there, set the sharing permissions to anyone with the link. On your Moodle course, you can create a URL resource which links to this document.

Enroll the parents as participants or students in the course, and then create a group with all of the parents in it. Then put that group in a grouping, and restrict access to the URL to just the users in that grouping. 

It's a bit of an inelegant solution, as you will need to export and re-upload the gradebook in drive anytime you make a change. You could set it up as a quarterly report type item, to make this a bit easier on you. 

My two cents, for what it's worth smile

Laura

In reply to Laura Farvour

by John Andrewartha -

Problem is then every body with the link see the whole course grades, buga the privacy.

If the Mentee is used correctly then only the matched parent can see there child's grades and other work.

In reply to Laura Farvour

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As mentioned by John, this solution leads to serious privacy issues and I would not recommend it.  The mentee/mentor option would work here or you can create a parent role and then assign each parent to a student.  Either way, there is a considerable amount of work involved in this.  

I, for one, wish we had an easy way of linking parents to their students..

In reply to Emma Richardson

Απάντηση: Re: Need a second gradebook?

by Smaragda Vamvakari -

I have to agree with John and Emma about the privacy issues even though it seems that this is the only solution possible. 

I am not sure what i am going to do about this . I may hide the moodle grades and show only the class test grades. 

In reply to Emma Richardson

Απάντηση: Re: Need a second gradebook?

by Smaragda Vamvakari -

I hope a solution is found to that too emma. I am not lookinf forward to linking all those parents tto students. I'm not even sure if it's worth the trouble if I don't find a way to inform parents about their children's grades. 

In reply to Smaragda Vamvakari

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Need a second gradebook?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I just tell them to get their student's login and then they can log in and see everything.  Of course, then there is the problem that they could complete the course for them too but that is always a risk in an online course.