Moodle with Multimaster replication

Moodle with Multimaster replication

by Josh Visser -
Number of replies: 10

We are planning on running moodle on seven different sites, would it be possible to replicate the same database between all seven servers?

La media da valetaziuns: -
In reply to Josh Visser

Re: Moodle with Multimaster replication

by Howard Miller -
Maletg da 	Core developers Maletg da 	Documentation writers Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Peer reviewers Maletg da 	Plugin developers

I've never heard of it being done. What about the 'moodledata' files? If you had sufficient bandwidth to make all that work, why not have a single moodle installation?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Josh Visser -

The content is being replicated by Unison, on a nightly schedule, our sites are separated by roughly T1 lines, which makes it difficult to stream video content and larger files over our WAN links

In reply to Josh Visser

by jason everling -

Check through the Hardware/Performance forums, there has been allot of discussion over the years, recently I have been voiving our setup since there wasn't many out there;

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=231797 < Cluster over WAN , you can easily cluster all 7 servers using what I talked about here

One important note is that since you say you have a "slow" WAN connection in using any type of replication your slowest connection will be your weakest link, all mysql servers will then run slow. Just be prepared and do some testing, it is possible though.

Jason

In reply to Josh Visser

by Howard Miller -
Maletg da 	Core developers Maletg da 	Documentation writers Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Peer reviewers Maletg da 	Plugin developers

My worry is that - unless you shut down all your sites during the synchronisation - that the file areas will eventually become out of step with the the database information that describes them. 

I fail to see how you are going to sychronise user data... if a person makes a forum post on one site and another makes a post on a different site, how will you handle that? Or perhaps that isn't what you want to do? It all seems a bit unlikely to me.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Josh Visser -

Hi Thanks for all the replies. The idea was to use a program like unison http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ to synchronize the user files across all seven sites and then use clustering to keep all the database between all nodes up to date with MYSQL clustering. So far we have tested, Unison keeps the userdata in sync, but we still need to keep the sql database up to date.

In reply to Josh Visser

by dibesh shrestha -

Hi Josh,

Does it work? Synchronizing moodledata folder with unison and then replicating the database using Master-Master replication. If it does, Is there anything that i have to pay attention to while configuration?

In reply to Josh Visser

by Jez H -

You will also need to string replace any hard references to the domain (urls) that appear in the database, though the best approach there is to make sure you dont get any to begin with.

you may find this a better option for multi sites: http://www.iomad.org

In reply to Jez H

by dibesh shrestha -

sorry jeh i could not Understand what u r trying to say. could you please make it little more simpler?

thanks in advance

In reply to dibesh shrestha

by Jez H -

If your database has any references to domain1.com in it they will need to be replaced for domain2,3,4....

That only happens in html like labels, pages so can be avoided as long as your content authors are aware.

In reply to dibesh shrestha

by Guillermo Madero -