Moodle 2.5 - admin account installed incorrectly

Moodle 2.5 - admin account installed incorrectly

by Stuart Turner -
Number of replies: 35

While installing the latest version it only accepts the site info page (the one after the admin account set up page) on the third go and then when I log in as admin it doesn't let me click "users" or "site administration" (see screenshot). It's as if the administrator account isn't being set up properly.

FYI I can't put the moodledata folder in root as I have a shared server but the rights are set to 777 by the moodle installation so it should be OK.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thx.

Attachment Screenshot.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Turner

Re: Moodle 2.5 - admin account installed incorrectly

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Stuart,

Does that happen only with the administrator account? The problem with those links not working usually has been related to different things. You can try to:

You could also:

• Enable Debugging (Administration > Development > Debugging).
  • Check if your browser is showing some warning or error indications.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Mark Watson -

Hi,

I'm having the same problem.

Linux server with PHP 5.3.23. Moodle built 2.5.1 (20130719).

Earlier this week I installed v2.5.1 (20130712) on an Windows Server/IIS server without a problem.  It seems to be either this build generally or the linux build.

The same thing happens with all browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, IE).

I purged all cached, changed slash argument, changes Ajax and Javascript setting and it made no difference.

Debugging is enabled but there are no error messages. There's nothing in the error log either. The links on the Site Admin menu simply are not working.

Please help.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Mark Watson -

I have just installed 2.5.1 Build 20130708 and have exactly the same problem as before.

Could the problem be the Linux build because, as I said, this does not happen on the Windows build I installed 2 days ago?

There were no errors of any description during the installation, Moodle was happy with PHP, and there is nothing at all in the site error log covering the period of the installation.

I navigated around the menu using page source and created a new user. Some of the menu items were not working. I made this new user an Administrator and the Site Admin menus are still not working.

Note that most of the submenu items work when you run .../admin/user.php

In reply to Mark Watson

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Just installed a Moodle 2.5.1+ (Build: 20130719) on a CentOS host (dedicated not shared) via git.  No issues.

Problems could be related to: hosting provider (info not shared) and config of shared hosting.  How it was installed (ie, ftp upload didn't really upload a files), permissions/ownerships?  Using 'default' administrator account 'admin' or other?

Can you view any apache server or mysql server logs?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mark Watson -

Hi Ken,

I've been working with the hosting provider's tech guys for most of the day now - they are trying to resolve this. To address your thoughts:

• upload was zipped file uncompressed on the host - I did this with 2 different builds.
  • permissions - set all dirs/files to 755/644
  • using both default admin as well as newly created user which I tested first then changed to an admin user.  Same problem every time.
  • I have access to error logs for the site - nothing there at all

If I look at Page Source I can see the links - they just don't appear as links in Moodle.

In reply to Ken Task

by Mark Watson -

Hi Ken,

I've been working with the hosting provider's tech guys for most of the day now - they are trying to resolve this. To address your thoughts:

• upload was zipped file uncompressed on the host - I did this with 2 different builds.
  • permissions - set all dirs/files to 755/644
  • using both default admin as well as newly created user which I tested first then changed to an admin user.  Same problem every time.
  • I have access to error logs for the site - nothing there at all

If I look at Page Source I can see the links - they just don't appear as links in Moodle.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Ken Task -

Hosting providers aren't an international secret are they?  Who is hosting provider?  Hosting provider might have something installed ... suPHP or some Zend thang set for all customers on a shared host to protect customers from one another.  That might affect all URL's that have /admin/ in them.

What did you download?  The .zip file or the .tar.gz?  If you know that the server is linux, one should use the .tar.gz file - not the zip. (ever notice the difference in the file size of the .zip and the .tar.gz?  .zip is larger and probably contains 'stuff' for Windows based servers.  And, end of line characters are different in ALL scripts/files.

One can .zip up the un-tarred/gzipped moodle code directory to upload and unzip if your hosting provider has only an un-zip option in their GUI.

Are you using binary mode on upload?  Have WinSCP or are you using a 'regular' FTP app?

Do you have ssh access to your server?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mark Watson -

Hi Ken,

the providers are Quadra who are a cut above all others I experienced and are always helpful in support. I've passed on your question about suPHP and Zend.

The upload was a .tar.gz - I uploaded a .zip onto a Windows server and had no problems with it. I uploaded the file using the Control Panel File Mgr and uncompressed it on the server, so there's no FTP funnies involved.

And yes, I do have ssh access.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Mark Watson -
It seems this is a known problem (see bug tracker https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31678 ). You have to disable Javascript in the browser which is not satisfactory because the menus are always expanded. It's been around for a while so hopefully the developers can get this fixed. I reiterate that is does not happen in the Windows Build.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Watson

by Ken Task -

@Mark, am not doubting you have a problem, but ...

Tracker links shows nginx and Ubuntu + IE browsers, and earlier versions of Moodle, etc.  Like I said, when first responding here ... installed a 2.5.latest on CentOS using git.  No issues with FireFox browser.  Just installed a 2.5.1+ using wget of latest 2.5 tar.gz and did web based installer this time. Again, no issues with FireFox browser.

Did notice something for the first time ... the tar.gz file had a couple of hidden files .shifter.json and .jshintrc.  Don't have jshint installed on the server I've used.

Do you have the ability to see hidden files on your remotely hosted system?  Are those same 'dot' files there in yours?

They are probably not really needed for Moodle to function (although both appear to be related to javascript [if I understand what am viewing]), but maybe someone from Moodle HQ or a true programmer could enlighten.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Monica Franz -

Hi,

@all:

I  just want to let you know.

I have this same problem using Solaris10 and Firefox 11 with Moodle 2.2.10+, not only as an admin, as teachers and other users too!

I posted this problem in this forum several times.

I ignored the problem and upgraded to Moodle 2.5 as I just needed 2.2 for upgrading from 1.9.

In Moodle 2.5 the problem was gone, so far I can tell!

Actually I wanted to upgrade to 2.5.1 but as I now know about the problems I'll leave it as it is, now.

Regards,

Monica

In reply to Mark Watson

by Ken Task -

Holding pattern until you hear back from Quadra.  Searched their stuff to see if I could find something that might be related, but nothing found.  No search, however. :|

Did see this, however (not saying it's related, but ...):

http://www.quadrahosting.com.au/support/web-hosting/docs/mysql_support.html

The section on MySQL Disk Quota.  They didn't say what the quota is set to by default.  Reason I mention that, Moodle defaults to using the DB for session information.  One might have to keep the Disk Quota 'affordable'.  One could try this ...

Edit config.php and add a line:

$CFG->dbsessions='0';

That tells Moodle not to use the DB for session information but write to a 'sessions' folder in the moodledata folder (which Moodle will create).  This will also test your permissions on the moodledata folder since it's not in a 'standard place'.  Moodle uses moodledata/temp/ as well for some stuff.

Don't have to restart any services after changing anything in config.php file.

Since you have ssh, wonder if they would allow/install 'git' for ya?  Makes it so easy to acquire Moodle code and/or update once installed.

When you login to the backend/control panel of your hosted site, does that URL contain 'admin' in it?

Does your config.php file have a line like:

$CFG->admin = 'admin';

Read this comment taken from the config-dist.php file:

//=========================================================================
// 5. DIRECTORY LOCATION  (most people can just ignore this setting)
//=========================================================================
// A very few webhosts use /admin as a special URL for you to access a
// control panel or something.  Unfortunately this conflicts with the
// standard location for the Moodle admin pages.  You can work around this
// by renaming the admin directory in your installation, and putting that
// new name here.  eg "moodleadmin".  This should fix all admin links in Moodle.
// After any change you need to visit your new admin directory
// and purge all caches.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mark Watson -

Hi Ken,

Quadra found the tracker bug https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31678 . This is set at closed, cannot replicate! And it's been going on for quite a few versions.

Reading through this and the comments says it's happened on WIndows/IIS as well so it's either a default Moodle setting or something host-specific.

The only thing that fixes it, and it's only a workaround, is to disabled Javascript - in EVERY browser! That's not a solution because there are a few places inside Moodle that use Javascript (try loading a plugin from Moodle for instance).

To answer what you found:

• MySQL disk quota is set at 500Mb and I'm using about 18Mb so that's not the problem.
  • The Control Panel does not have 'admin' in the URL.
  • I'll try the dbsessions=0 but I doubt that will do it.

Thanks for your efforts so far.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Mark Watson -

Ken,

dbsession = 0 did nothing.

Quadra run the site with PHP_5.3 Mod_php instead of PHP 5.3 FastCGI and it made no difference.

They told me the run Zend and xcache and showed me how to disable these in the .htaccess file. That made no difference.

I tried playing with the YUI settings - nothing.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Guillermo Madero -

When I worked with IE and had that particular problem, at the left side of the status bar of the browser, there would appear a yellow warning icon. Click it to open the detailed message description.

As I mentioned, unfortunately the browser version can also be a factor here.

by Mark Watson -

Hi Guillermo

I get no yellow warning icon in IE. Besides, this problem occurs in all browsers.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Guillermo Madero -

Another possibility... turn off Java (you should have it disabled anyway, unless you really need it).

by Mark Watson -

Turning off Javascript does "fix" the problem. It's at best a workaround, not a solutions because

1. the menus remain expanded
  2. some functions in Moodle fail because Javascript is used (eg installing a plugin from Moodle site)
  3. we've often used javascript in our courses.
In reply to Mark Watson

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Mark,

But I meant Java, not JavaScript; it seems that sometimes that has "solved" the problem.

by Mark Watson -

Sadly, Guillermo, that didn't work either.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Ken Task -

@Mark

Think full disclosure might help here.  You've mentioned installing on Windows and having no issues.  You say you have 'linux' and your site has issues.  However, there is linux and then there are systems similar to but not linux.  So, even if remotely hosted with Quadra, what does Quadra have you set up upon - operating system wise?  Specifics please as it might be a factor here.

What does the output of:

php -m

and php -i

show?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mark Watson -

See attachments

In reply to Mark Watson

by Ken Task -

Where/how is server (which is of a different flavor than most) php talking to mysql?

php -m normally shows in listing:

mysql
mysqli

The  command line php -i found something intertesting - not the version of PHP required, but know one can tell a shared hosting account to use higher version:

PHP Version => 5.2.17

System => Linux internal.network 2.6.32-358.11.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP

System appears to be el6 - RedHat 6?

And this one looks strange:

Scan this dir for additional .ini files => /hsphere/local/config/httpd/php5/php.d
additional .ini files parsed => (none)

On a RH EL6 server php.d is where mysql.ini, mysqli.ini, and json.ini are found.  Those ini files point to loadable module ... their .so file.

Even though php -i shows:

json
json support => enabled
json version => 1.2.1

is json loaded?

Look at your sites Moodle phpinfo link for those things ... as your Moodle is probably pointed to a different/higher version of php.

So on Quadra hosting one might have to use both .htaccess and those things allowed by php.ini?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Stuart Turner -

Many thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I just wanted to let say that I have noticed the following Javascript error - maybe it can help someone to find a solution:

TypeError: M.util is undefined

on /moodle/my line 314

In reply to Stuart Turner

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

What happens if you turn off slash arguments?

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/HTTP

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Mark Watson -

That doesn't work either.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Mark Watson -

Hi all,

I just nuked my Moodle 2.5 which had these menu problems and installed 2.4 on the same machine. The problem does not occur.  It's clearly a v2.5 issue.

Thanks for all the input.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Guillermo Madero -

Actually, it has been a recurring problem in several versions sad

by Mark Watson -

Why is it that the tracker item has been closed (September 2012) and not re-opened after all the forum discussion since then?

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31678

The tracker says they cannot replicate it - I couldn't get anything but in v2.5

How can we get it re-opened?  (I'd be happy to set the developers up a 2.5 in which this happens.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately this issue seems to depend on quite a number of external factors. I have visited sites where the user reported having that problem and I could expand the links Ok. I have also had that problem myself, which I solved by downgrading FF from version 15 (back then) to version 14. Very nasty situation.

I saw you wrote at the tracker. I suppose that people need to vote again to have that tracker reopened.

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

You can't vote for closed Tracker items.

by Wendi Daniels -

Oh dear...is there any chance of this getting fixed, and if so, how long do you suppose it should take?