Techniques to create questions in Question banks

Techniques to create questions in Question banks

by Alexandro Colorado -
Number of replies: 12

Does anyone has best practice on how to develop a good question bank. Basically we are looking into a mental excercise on how to get the best out of the type of questions. 

Usually essay, and multiple choice, and true or false are easy to generate, but some others are more challenging to come up with. 

If there are samples on how to generate these questions from an article, book chapter or video. Would be good. 

Since for a Question bank, we are looking or bulk ammount of questions, I am also looking for a strategy to be able to generate these questions rather quickly and then decide which format should they go with.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alexandro Colorado

Re: Techniques to create questions in Question banks

by Cris Fuhrman -

Following Bloom's Taxonomy is probably going to get you in the right direction. Google found me these links, but I'm sure there are better things.

http://712educators.about.com/od/assessments/a/Constructing-A-Blooms-Taxonomy-Assessment.htm

http://712educators.about.com/od/Blooms-Taxonomy/tp/Blooms-Taxonomy-Questions.htm (this one has question stems for each level)

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Alexandro Colorado -

Thanks this helps, however if you can share a process on how you generate these questions and how would you recommend to go about them on the context of the moodle question banks.

Is this method how you generate questions?

by Cris Fuhrman -

For the first 2 levels in Bloom (Knowledge and Comprehension), multiple-choice and True/False questions are pretty easy to make. As you get to levels 4-6, essay questions become more useful (and it's harder to automatically grade).

Personally, I use quiz questions and question banks to evaluate knowledge and comprehension, as the students can do this outside of my class (it takes up too much time in class, not allowing evaluation on the other aspects, which I find are better suited for class exercises).

Reading is a great way for students to aquire knowledge and understanding (Bloom's meanings), and so I use the organization of the reading material to create questions regarding the knowledge. In one of my courses, there are good summaries of learning objectives as well as the heuristics that students need to know. It's relatively easy to make multiple-choice or true-false questions using the material straight from the book.

However, I will paraphrase my question/answers with respect to the text in the book. So it's not just a question of having the student skim the text to find the answers (without understanding). None of these methods is perfect, of course.

Finally, I tend to use the same categories in my question bank as the structure in the text book. Occasionally, there are cross-cutting themes (I teach software analysis and design, so UML notation is a theme that re-appears throughout the textbook, without necessarily having a dedicated chapter on it). I will create categories for those themes.

One of my colleagues found this reference to Bloom and Moodle in the so-called "Moodle Tool Guide," which I think is appropriate here:  http://www.somerandomthoughts.com/blog/2012/03/15/a-moodle-2-version-of-the-moodle-tool-guide/ 

Quizzes get a mention of "red" saying that they're not easy to set up and they take time. I concur! I think Moodle needs some abstraction tools (typical-use templates) to make this easier. 80% of the users are probably going to use 20% of the configurations of quizzes, for example. It would be good to have those typical configs in templates.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Alexandro,

I'm afraid your question is not especially related to Moodle's Quiz activity. What you are asking, in fact, is a more general question, i.e. "How does one teach?" No "bulk amount" of "quickly generated" quiz questions will replace careful thinking about what teaching and learning are.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Alexandro Colorado -

The generation of quizzes depend highly of the relationship with the question bank. So planning ahead the question bank will facilitate the way quizzes are formed. Since the teacher can see this either as a quizz per quizz basis vs  a carefully designed question bank, and just come up with quizzes as the class progresses or the topic needs it.

Either case I think is important to share if the technique of coming up with relevant and clear questions can be pre-designed before starting making quizzes left and right.

That is why I am asking for methodologies and practices on treating questions in quizzes. Specially avoiding the overuse of certain type of question style.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

One approach is

1. Start by thinking about the learning outcomes you want to assess.
  2. Then think about the most authentic way you can get the student to demonstrate that they have attained that learning outcome in a way that the computer can grade.
  3. That will lead you to a choice of question type.

To do that well, you need a certain amount of experience with how the different Moodle question types work, and the ways you can do them. The only real way to get that experience is to start authoring questions. In other words, you just need to start, and be prepared for you first questions not to be great, but reflect on what you are doing, and learn as you go.

It is a good debate whether you can write the questions first and then later think about assembling them into quizzes, or whether you need to know the context of the quiz you are planning to build, before you can write questions that fit into that. There are arguments in both sides.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Alexandro,

I guess one reason why it's difficult for me to understand your query is that, when I was using Moodle for my teaching (English as a foreign language), I would never create questions in the questions bank to be used in "potential" quizzes. When I was creating a quiz, I created the questions I needed for that quiz, and that was it.

Of course I realize there are many other ways to use questions and to build quizzes, but I've never resorted to those other ways.

You write "I think is important to share if the technique of coming up with relevant and clear questions can be pre-designed before starting making quizzes left and right."

For me, it's the reverse, it is important to come up with a clear idea of what you want to put in a well-designed quiz before starting making questions left and right."

Joseph

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Reflecting on Josephs comment I do some of both approaches to quizzing. Because it is the start of the summer break for me now I will be going over my categories and adding questions that I think are relevant. I won't be that worried about what quizzes they are finally used in.

When the term starts in September I will be creating quizzes that match lessons and adding in existing questions from the categories and also adding some new questions that are specific to the topics that I have recently taught. I find that creating questions before the quizzes means I think about the structure again when I am adding them to the quiz and am more likely to notice errors and ambiguities.

How you go about using quizzes will also depend on what you use them for. I use them almost exclusively for high frequency low stakes low marks quiz. Typically every lesson will include at least one quiz and it will contain between five to eight questions and a total of between 10 to 14 marks.

If I was using quizzes differently, i.e. summative use with more questions and more marks my approach might be different.

by Douglas Broad -

@Joseph,

When I first started authoring questions in Moodle, I thought they all had to be created in question banks first.  I completely overlooked the ability to create questions in the quiz.  I can't explain why but it might have been because of working with converting quizzes from other systems to moodle and my interest in generating the questions outside of the Moodle environment in Gift format. Nevertheless, even though I can write questions in a quiz edit, I prefer the test bank route.  It allows me to think about the categories and to write more questions than I need so that I can offer different variants (randomized, calculated, etc) to head off cheating.  Even when the questions are created within the quiz, they will be assigned to a category so it helps me to start categorizing questions.  The banks are just a way of adding questions to categories of knowledge be they functional, objective, question type, or chapter heading categories.  (I teach Architectural Technology.  Currently I am authoring questions for Green Building and Design Concepts.  I have chosen to use chapter categories with subcategories for homework and other functions.

@Alexandro- I agree with Tim that good questions begin with course objectives (and from verfied information from readings) and that writing good questions takes practice.  I've just started analyzing my questions and suffixing their names by revised Bloom's(1a-6d) and by the course objective. (e.g. Recycling 2B-2)

In reply to Douglas Broad

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A light bulb has just gone off in my head...

Create your categories well first and that will give you the structure for your question topics.

(and give the questions meaningful names)

by Alexandro Colorado -

The reason of doing question bank is simple, just like anything else, we dont think in linear form, questions and ideas come at random. So limiting to a quizz will make it harder to come up with questions, while just like the syllabus, or any other work. Is easier to come up with questions, and then see where they fit better.

I think QB allow you to think freely about any topic of the course, and then apply it and see which quizz should the QB end up, or if its a whole different topic/quizz to cover.

Also some of the questions come from the research material, so it would be natural that if you are researching some more advanced topic, it could make you think on an indirect question from a previous topic.

As opposed to think of fixing it on the quizz, is just better to either add it or replace it in the QB.

by Alexandro Colorado -

The same type of question (formulation of the question) can be applied to different topics, so sometimes is easier to just go through the different topics and end up with 5 or more different questions out of one 'type' of question. This makes it simpler by repetition how to feed the question bank.

If we go through the learning objectives approach it will take much longer and maybe more effort to come per each type of question and topic.

But is interesting learning that this is not as widely used as I first thought.