Pdf error using Firefox

Pdf error using Firefox

by James Robertson -
Number of replies: 2

I have been setting up some course prototypes using pdf files converted from Word docs as resources (link to uploaded file).  For awhile I tried various third-party doc-to-pdf downloads and settled on an evaluation copy of Blue Point Light.  Later I got a copy of Acrobat from my school.  All the pdf files display correctly in windows outside a browser.  They also display correctly as resources in Moodle using IE.  But when I try to display the non-Acrobat pdfs through Firefox, I get an error: "file does not start with %pdf-".  I believe these pdfs were made using Blue Point.  I don't understand why the browser would make a difference. 

It isn't a pressing problem because the files I convert with Acrobat work fine so I just reconvert the old ones, but I wonder if anyone else has run across this or if anyone understands it.  It makes me a little uneasy about using pdf format since many of our students use Firefox, but pdf also has many advantages, so if the problem is predictable and preventable I would like to use pdf.

Thanks,

Jim Robertson.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Robertson

Re: Pdf error using Firefox

by Brent Eaton -
I had the same problem in Mozilla and Firefox.  Got an even stranger message in IE (which I don't like to use).

I found out that my web host had disabled the php function "readfile()" during an upgrade of their software.  I asked the help desk to reinstate the function.  It fixed it!

There is a way to check your Moodle configuration to see what php functions are disabled, but I don't remember how to do it.  Some of the MoodleGurus may know it.

Hope it helps.

Brent
In reply to Brent Eaton

Re: Pdf error using Firefox

by Sebastian Rodriguez -
try using pdf creator, you can download at sourceforge.com I have no problem converting words files to pdf and later openning with firefox.