Retain Grades After Unenrollment

Retain Grades After Unenrollment

by Amin Hannini -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone,

So in preparation for a new semester, I wanted to unenroll all current students in my courses to allow new user registrations.  However, I noticed that when I'd do that, the unenrolled user no longer sees their grade for the course on their overview report, and upon trying to check their grade will be taken to the course registration page.

How do you retain grades on the user's transcript after unenrollment?  Maybe I have the wrong approach here, but I was unable to find any settings that would help this issue.  

Thanks for your time!

In reply to Amin Hannini

Re: Retain Grades After Unenrollment

by Bob Puffer -

We create separate courses by term, import information from the previous term's version and allow user to remain enrolled.  This has served us well since 2004 even with having 950 courses per term.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Susan Mangan -

This is good to hear!  After allowing teachers to re-set and re-use their shells from term-to-term for 8 years, we just implemented this same process last summer 2012 (creating multiple course instances based on term and importing contents).  It's been a bit of a learning curve for most but we are finding it is a great way to retain student work/grades, etc. that is easily accessible to the teacher at any given time.  The Teacher just needs to remember to make the course unavailable to students at the end of the term so it doesn't remain on the student's list.

In reply to Amin Hannini

by Susan Mangan -

If you don't want to maintain separate course shells for each term that retain all of this data you can simply backup the course with student data or export a copy of the gradebook before the course is re-set and the students un-enrol.