default method for feedback in Moodle 2.4/view of the submission feedback

default method for feedback in Moodle 2.4/view of the submission feedback

by Carol Howells -
Number of replies: 5

I can't get the student view of the submission feedback to show the desired Letter rather than grade. Instead is shows the actual mark. I've set it up at site level so that numbers convert to a letter grade.

The grade book is showing the actual letter grade and it is clear to me that you can make the grade book display in a number of ways but not the submission feedback view. I'm using 2.4.1 as we just upgraded and it used to work fine before (2.1).

This is very important for my organisation. I've attached a file with screenshots if anyone can please help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carol Howells

Re: default method for feedback in Moodle 2.4/view of the submission feedback

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Carol,

I posted you an answer over where you first asked at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=219776#p1005553

Pardon me, the wife is calling and I don't have time to type it over again here.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

Re: default method for feedback in Moodle 2.4/view of the submission feedback

by Carol Howells -

Thank you for your reply. I wish it was that simple but it doesn't work. It used to work for 2.1.

I can't get it to show anything other than a number grade in the submission feedback page which is where most of my students look. I can get the grade book to show letter grades only.

My question is that this used to work in 2.1 but doesn't in 2.4. Is this now the default method for 2.4 or is it a bug? If it's not, what's the point of setting course grade settings to letter if this only shows in the grade book?

Re: default method for feedback in Moodle 2.4/view of the submission feedback?

by Carol Howells -

I've never done this before but I may report this as a bug in version 2.4.

I've been using moodle since 2005.

It seems to me that this may be a bug as it's inconsistent. If you set the course grade settings to letter then this should be the case and this worked in 2.1.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Carol,

After doing a little research, I agree with you and I think not showing a letter grade on the students submission feedback page is a bug, too.

At the time Moodle 2, 2.1, and 2.2 came out, I stuck with Moodle 1.9 because I was using a non-standard wiki (369 of them) module. I eventually jumped straight to Moodle 2.3 and did not use any letter grade classes in my new install.

Anyway, Moodle 2.1 was the only one I do not have a test version of so I added one today so I could see what you meant. The bug seems to have cropped up in the move from Moodle 2.2 to Moodle 2.3.

I would say, go ahead and put in a bug tracker. I just made a search and do not see one about this problem.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Carol Howells -

Thanks. There is this-

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37153

and also a related one.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37153

This is the same issue I think but one is closed for some reason and the other is considered  minor, as there's a work around. However I can't get the workaround to work either.

Rapidly losing faith in Moodle here.