Assignment

Picture of Miki Alliel
How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions
Group Translators

Hello

In a certain course We have hundreds of students and an assignment, we want to grade there submissions without them to know when  we (teachers) grade\checked their submissions.

The default of checking and saving grade of submission is automatically sends notifications to the students (by email) that we (teachers) grade their submission even if this assignment is unavailable to them they still can get the notifications.

But if the teachers didn't finish to grade them all and need a breake so some of the students will get those emails and some not (we need to give them all grade 2 weeks exacly after they submit , but we want to gade and comment them but not yet to notify them), only when we (teachers) finish to grade (with comments) the submissions, when we wish to save all and then only, notifiy them,   how can we do it? please help

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Steve Ambro v2.5.1
Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions

I have found that Moodle notification is a bit sketchy so I grade all with the notifications off then send an APB E-mail message after grading is done.  This way I can custom design the response and subject line.  One message goes to all involved.

When I want to use the URL supplied by the notification, I have one more step.  Using a token student I send a notification to myself then copy/paste the URL into my outgoing message.

Picture of Miki Alliel
תשובה ל: Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions
Group Translators

Hey Steve, How did you set notifications off exactly? It's really not logic when the assignment is hidden from the student and still the grader give a grade/comment for any submission and they still get these emails with a link to an hidden assignment??

Re: תשובה ל: Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions

I hope we area talking about the same thing and note that for this I am working at an educators level, not site admin. 

At the bottom of the grading sheet for each assignment, is that option to click off the notification.  I believe that it will stay off until until you click it back on or close Moodle and re-open it. 

I heard that in a version or two that the option had disappeared.  I have worked in 2.5, 2.2.4, 1.9 and some version earlier and have always seen that option available.

To my knowledge, once it is switched off, you can grade all you want and nothing is sent out.  I have a fake student enrolled and use that to test my work/changes.  I do not rely on the Student or Instructor accounts and I believe that they do not receive/send e-mail messages.

I do not recall seeing this linked with visibility of the assignment though.   I believe that when an assignment is hidden that notification still goes out.  Maybe this is what you are suggesting.  It is an interesting point.  It would seem to me that notifications should not go out if the assignment is hidden.  The problem would be whether or not notification would go out when the assignment is visible again.  This will probably not be an easy fix.

Picture of Miki Alliel
תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions
Group Translators

This is the problem I have moodle 2.3 and I can't see this button " click off the notification" so I guess there is no solution for that in my case? they do get the emails although we don't want them to get yet.

here is screen shot can't see this setting sad

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Steve, Miki

I'm using 2.3 and 2.5 on various sites and I don't see it either. Steve can you give us a bit more help finding this option.

Or alternatively can anyone tell me where I can find it in the code to edit.

Richard

Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions

For my set up this is obvious and I cannot see why this is not there for you.  This may be theme or  build dependent but for me the option is right there on the screen.  I am using the "Serenety" theme. I still wonder if we are discussing the same problem.

If it helps, I click on any assignment, then in the upper right click on the line indicating how many attempts/submissions have been made on the assignment.  This is where I do my grading. Maybe you are grading from a different screen but I wonder that if you can switch if off here then it could be off in other screens.  For me, once switched off, it remains off until I switch it back on or exit and come back into another Moodle session.

Right now, I have only one test student registered so, if you have many registered, you will have to scroll to the bottom of your screen for the notification option.

OK - I see it now:

For information - this option is only there when Quick Grading is enabled, which I spotted from your screenshots, thank you Steve smile

What I'm looking for is a way to disable notifications when the full grading is used, not just the quick grading option.

On a hunch, go into quick grading and disable notifications and see if it remains disabled in Full Grading.  You might check this by returning to quick grading to see if it is still disabled.

Picture of Miki Alliel
תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions
Group Translators

steve, I still can't see this "send notification" checkbox in Moodle 2.3  do you see?

Picture of AL Rachels
Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Miki,

It would help to know which version of Moodle you are using. In Moodle 2.4 and 2.5 it is possible to download all submissions, grade them, then upload all the feedback for all the students at one time.

For more info: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Assignment_settings#Feedback_files

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Assignment_settings#Feedback_files

Hope this helps,

AL

Picture of Miki Alliel
תשובה ל: Re: How to prevent automaticly notifications (emails) to student after grading submissions
Group Translators

Thanks for the replays, I use moodle 2.3 so I guess in this version there is no logic way to do that.

Graham Holland

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for (I'm using Moodle 2.4) but it's worth a shot.

Go to the course containing the assignment then click on Grades in the Settings menu.

There’s a dropdown menu top left, choose Simple view

Click the edit button (cog icon) in the Actions column for the assignment. This takes you to the Grade item page.

Clicking the Hidden box will hide all grades from students until the box is un-ticked. Show advanced (top right) allows you to set a date from which the grades will be visible to students.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Thank you - that may be helpful for some people, unfortunately its not what I'm struggling with smile

We can hide the grades no problem, the issue I have is that even when the grades are hidden, students are notified that their assignment has been graded - they can't see the grade, that bits fine, but we would prefer them not to get the email notice about grading while grades are hidden too.

If anyone knows where in the code this is coming from, I'm more than happy to look at the code to see what I can achieve there, but I can't find a front-end setting (and can't find it in the code either), other than the one Steve highlighted which is part of quick-grading.

Richard

Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Getting notification about anything related to Assignment statuses (and other activities) is controlled by each user on his/her personal Messaging page (Setting block). Administrator can set defaults, but I do not recommend to turn it off for all students, system wide.

Indeed this should be controlled per Assignment activity, by the teachers.

More info: MDL-35013 - Sending Message to Student When Assignment is Graded

Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Getting notification about anything related to Assignment statuses (and other activities) is controlled by each user on his/her personal Messaging page (Setting block). Administrator can set defaults, but I do not recommend to turn it off for all students, system wide.

Indeed this should be controlled per Assignment activity, by the teachers.

More info: MDL-35013 - Sending Message to Student When Assignment is Graded

As far as I can tell Nadav, the option there in the messaging page only allows students to turn off (or on ) ANY messaging to do with assignments in one single option.

What I am looking for is to prevent the email/message notification that goes out to students when their work is graded, particularly when the grade is hidden, but if necessary to stop this message completely.

The students still need to be able to receive other assignment notifications such as submission receipts etc.

The tracker report you linked to has no-one working on it, so no progress being made even though there are a number of people requesting the return of this feature.

I have looked at the code but have been unable to identify where the message is being sent from. If someone can at least point me in the direction of where this is, I'd be happy to take a look at some kind of fix for this -if I can and it does not exceed my php skills!

Picture of Louise Davies

Is this not all the same issue as this tracker too:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-33600

Yes Louise I think it is,

There are also a number of other related issues such as

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36847 - Prevent inaccurate feedback notifications where grade item hidden

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40012 - Control release of grades and notifications

and also http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Assignment/Draft_Features/Marker_Allocation_and_Management - although it looks as if this is only going into 2.6 at the moment

Unfortunately all these issues have been marked as Damien not being able to continue working on them at present and yet the number of issues and the number of votes on them would suggest this is a MAJOR issue for users, even if the developers don't see it as a priority (possibly because of the number of issues spreading some of the comments into different places?)

It would be good to see the work done on the Draft features back ported into 2.5 at least to see if that resolves the majority of these issues.

In the first two of these URLs, there does not seem to be any indication whether or not e-mail notification is released after the assignments are graded then un-hidden on a later date.  Yea, Nay?

I've taken a look at back-porting the 2.6 assign into 2.5 with Dan's Marker Allocation and Management work linked above (see that link for details of what features this offers). I don't know if this will solve all the issues referred in this thread, but if anyone wants to take a look at it (I've done a quick test but not full testing yet - plan on doing that in work this week) the code can be found at:

https://github.com/roelmann/backportassign2.6

Richard

Edit: @Steve - I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. It seems the concern for most people in those threads/tracker issues is simply to prevent the notification going out when grading is carried out, particularly when the assignment is hidden in the gradebook. There is little (no?) mention of later emails when the assignment is unhidden.