Group grades in groupings

Group grades in groupings

by Steve McGuire -
Number of replies: 5
Hello,

I'm still trying to figure out groupings. I am using 2.4 and want students to edit a text together as group, but with one student submitting the text.

I have 11 groups of teams of four under a grouping. I set the "grouping for student groups" to the grouping, and also Grouping under Module settings.

I thought that the new groupings feature would let me assign a grade for one member of each group and that the grades would then automatically be given to all students in that group.

I can grade each student individually if I go through the groups one by one, but that is a lot of work for 44 students.

Am I missing something obvious (as usual)?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve McGuire

Re: Group grades in groupings

by Rob Woof -

Hi Steve,

Don't be so hard on yourself. I will attempt to explain how Groups and Groupings fit together as a concept, since I'm not sure you understand this area.

The idea of "Groupings" is that they are sets of groups. They enable you to organise your students in different groups for different activities.

For example, you might group 40 students into 10 groups of 4 for Activity 1, and 5 groups of 8 for Activity 2. You would create 10 groups for Activity 1 and assign those groups to a Grouping called "Activity 1". You would then create 5 groups for Activity 2 and assign those groups to a Grouping called "Activity 2". You would then assign the Activity 1 Grouping to Activity 1, and the Activity 2 Grouping to Activity 2.

That way, the membership of groups within each grouping is independent, and when you are working with students' work in each activity, you can only operate using groups that  are linked (via the Grouping) to the relevant activity.

Now one of the settings for the new (2.3+) Assignment module in 2.4 is the setting for "Students submit in groups". If that is selected, I think that allows you to grade each group's submission and have the grade applied to all members of the group.

I'm not sure I've made it any clearer for you, but...

Cheers,
Rob

In reply to Rob Woof

by Steve McGuire -
Rob,

Thanks for your very clear summary. It helps me see that I was pretty close to comprehension of this. In fact, it helped me make a leap I should have made before. I'm sure I'm not going to be able to explain this as clearly as you did, but here's the path I took.

I have two separate classes meeting in two separate hours. The content is the same for both, but the classes are separate. I originally created two groups, Friday 3 and Friday 4.

Once I learned about groupings (and it was a bit of a climb for me), I made groups in teach class, F3Team1 through F3Team11 and F4Team1 through F4Team11 and then then put each of these groups under two separate groupings, GroupingF3 and GroupingF4.

I thought that if I set an activity for one grouping that students in other groupings wouldn't be able to see it (that is, an activity set to the grouping "Activity 1" in your example above would not be visible to students grouped under "Activity 2." However, this didn't seem to be the case (what am I doing wrong?), so I created separate activites for GroupingF3 and GroupingF4. However, some studetns in GroupingF4 have accidentally uploaded material in GroupingF3 which leads to mass confusion.

My "aha" experience is a bit embarrassing to admit. I just now realized based on your explanation that I can create a new grouping for all the teams in both classes, F3Team1~F3Team11 and F4Team1~F4Team11 and students will still be separated by their separate classes (Friday 3 and Friday 4).

I'm slow, but I get there in the end, even if I get beaten by a hare.

by Rob Woof -

Steve,

I'm glad you got there in the end! Thanks for the update.

Rob

by Damyon Wiese -

It should work as you described, on the grade page for a single student you should have the option to apply grades and feedback to all members of the group (maybe you are using quickgrading?).

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Steve McGuire -
Damyon,

Thanks for the hint to check quickgrading. Yes, that's what the problem was. I thought maybe it might be possible to grade one student in each group and then the system would automatically propogate (misusing the term?) to the other members of each group.

I have 88 students in two classes in 22 groups of four, so not being able to grade all at once means I have to do each group one at a time. This is still easier than having to do all 88 students!

I really like the ability to use groups in various ways in 2.4. A big improvement in terms of allowing easier use of cooperative groups.

Thanks again.
Thanks again.