Parent view - after Parent/ Child role set-up

Parent view - after Parent/ Child role set-up

by Bron Chandler -
Number of replies: 7

Hello list

I am having trouble setting up parent/child. Well I think I have it set-up, as I followed the instructions: docs.moodle.org/24/en/Parent_role and all seems OK. It's just that when I go to the child's information as the parent to test, I get the Activity Report out of context and there are no grades.

• See image below (left) Before clicking the course name under the student profile the Activity Reports option appears under the student name.
  • See image (right) after clicking course name and there is NO Activity report option.

What step have I missed?

Bronn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bron Chandler

Re: Parent view - after Parent/ Child role set-up

by Heather Edick -

In the Define Roles area, did you set "See user activity reports" to Allow?  Is the Parent role defined for the User and the Course context?  

I would check out your permissions by navigating to 

• Site administration
  •  /  Users
  •  /  Permissions
  •  /  Define roles

In reply to Heather Edick

by Bron Chandler -

Hi Heather

1. Yes

2. I have only ticked User as per instructions ("Give the role a name (such as "Parent", but it can be anything appropriate, such as tutor/mentor) and assign it to the user context. ") 

3. I have allowed moodle/user:viewdetails under the Course heading and the following in the user settings.

I have re-checked all that I know, maybe I have missed something REALLY simple.

Hope you can help.  smile

Bron

by John Gifford -

I get the same thing with certain courses having followed the same documentation. I thought this was normal behaviour for the 2 courses in question as there wasn't anything gradable in them. One course had a force group setting turned on so the parent role spat out an error when it tried to access it, because the parent wasn't in a group. I removed the force option and it reported normally. The other course is solely a discussion unit that had the students select what they wanted to do (a non-gradable questionnaire item).
It maybe you're not getting an activity report because there is simply no graded activity in the course.

By any chance do you get the outline and complete reports under your activity reports, when/if you get them show up? I ask because ALL I get is Grade and I think those 2 reports would be a good way for parents to check on outstanding homework rather than waiting for it to be graded. I can only get those 2 reports by enrolling the parent into the course itself, which I really don't want to do.

In reply to John Gifford

by Bron Chandler -

Hi John

Yes I have found that enrolling mine, who are more like student mentors, they get to see the logs etc.

However, I have noticed that in one course, they can't see ANY Grades. They get the option, but when you click on it it's a blank screen. I'm trying to see what is different between the courses, but nothing coming up yet. Have you seen this?

Bron

by Marilyn Olsen -

I'm having the same problem. Figured this out yet?

In reply to Marilyn Olsen

by Bron Chandler -

Hi Marilyn

Sadly no, it's in my too hard basket for the moment.

Happy to explore any suggestions smile

Bron

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Bron -do either of these help you? Have a look at this forum thread which suggests that if you have groups set in your course the activity report is not visible  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=245121- and also if you don't have groups set, I am finding that you can only see the course total and not each individual activity  MDL-43197  What are you finding?