Self Enrollment Not Working

Self Enrollment Not Working

by Adam Metzler -
Number of replies: 15

I have checked everything possible and when I go into a course with a student account I can not see a link or button that has an Enrol in this course option. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure it is one little thing somewhere that I am not seeing. I am also running on Moodle 2.5. Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Metzler

Re: Self Enrollment Not Working

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ok- first of all- when you say you have "checked everything possible" could you say exactly what you have checked? And also when you say "when I go into a course with a student account" - if you are in a course then either you are already enrolled -or you are accessing it as a guest, which isn't the norm. Could you clarify what you mean? Do you mean when you click on a course to enrol in it, you don't get a message offering you to enrol in this course?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Adam Metzler -

Thanks for the reply! Mainly I have just gone through all the enrollment settings ensuring they are all on and not conflicting between the overall settings and course settings. What we are wanting is that parents/guardians can access any of the courses using the guest password we have created. Students will be able to actually enroll themselves into their own courses. So I have set a guest password for each course and just can't seem to figure out the second piece so that students can enroll themselves in the course. 

I figure I have something working against it not allowing it to do what I need. Thanks again for any help!! This is the last piece I have to get in place to put us in great shape!

In reply to Adam Metzler

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah ok - well - I therefore assume you have both guest access AND self enrolment enabled for the course - are you saying that when a student clicks into the course and accesses it as a guest, they don't see, in the administration block, the link "enrol me in this course"?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Adam Metzler -

Correct, when a student clicks on any course it just let's them straight into it. Sounds like I have something not setup quite right with the guest access then which is overriding the self enrollment.

In reply to Adam Metzler

by Mary Cooch -

So they click on a course and they can get inside it (correct, as they are going in as guests) and then they do not see the link to "enrol me in this course"  not correct, assuming they haven't yet logged in. Is it definite that they are not already enrolled in the course  manually - either category or site wide in error? Have you looked in Participants to check there are no students already enrolled (hence why they don't see the "enrol me in this course" link once in the course?)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Adam Metzler -

Correct, when I click on a course when logged in it lets me right in with the same access as a guest. The account I am using is not enrolled in any classes at all. The only way we were able to enroll students this past year was to manually add them to the class. 

In the list where it shows all the courses I see two icons on the right hand side and when you hover over them it shows an icon saying Guest Access and an Icon for Self Enrollment.

In reply to Adam Metzler

by Adam Metzler -

If anyone would like to give me a hand I can make an account for you so you can help me out. I have spent the last 2hrs going through all the settings and can not figure out what is going on and why it won't give logged in users the option to enrol in a course. I greatly appreciate any and all help, just trying to get this situated before our new school year and this is the only thing causing me major issues. Thanks!

In reply to Adam Metzler

by Adam Metzler -

If you help me get this working. I can create an account or anything else you need. I know it is something minor but I am just beyond stumped and this is the last piece I need to get working. I definitely appreciate anyone's help!

(Edited by Mary Cooch  to remove reference to payment for help - in  accordance with forum Code of conduct- original submission Monday, 1 July 2013, 2:33 AM)

In reply to Adam Metzler

by A Guy -

It is hard to troubleshoot this if we can't log in and see what you are seeing/doing.

In reply to A Guy

by Mary Cooch -

Adam -if you want to send me an admin log in via the Moodle messaging system I will take a look but obviously I cannot promise anything and you certainly do seem to have tried everything already.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Daniel von Wittich -

Hi

I have exactly the same problem. My course starts in 2 days and there is absolutely no way to turn the self-enrolment on.

I have checked the plugin, enabled it in enrolment methods, made it visible, uninstalled and re-installed the plugin, uninstalled and reinstalled noodle 2.9.1+. (php5.5)

It simply is impossible to get the self-enrolment option going on the front end.

PLEAAASSSSE HELP

I have used older versions of noodle and have never had this problem. I am trying since 7 hours now.

Best wishes

Daniel

In reply to Daniel von Wittich

by Daniel von Wittich -

Hi

Finally, I managed to solve this issue by changing the following:

Site admin > Plugins > Authentication > Manage Authentication > Self-registration from Disabled to Email-based Self registration.

Best

Daniel

In reply to Adam Metzler

by Flotter Totte -
Picture of Plugin developers

I guess it is related to the way how you realize "guest access". If you have  set the capability "course:view" to "allow" for "authenticated users", all users can view your courses but do not have an enrolment button (as this capability is intended for managers).

The button "enrol me" appears if you use the enrolment method "self enrolment".

Hope that helps

Flotter

In reply to Adam Metzler

by Robert Brenstein -
Adam, you keep saying that when guest access is enabled, the participants are let in without given an option to enroll. I think it is since Moodle 1.9 that enrollment works that way. I mean when guest access is enabled, there is no enrollment page but users just go straight into the course. They can enroll then through the block "Administration", the link "enrol me in this course" or sth similar. If that link does not show up, the problem might be in the role settings. However, check that students are not enrolled at a higher level (category) by accident.