Forgot Password Not Working

Forgot Password Not Working

by Adam Metzler -
Number of replies: 12

This has been an issue all year but now school is out I can really work on things. The forgot password works for me as an administrator but can not get it to work for our staff and students. We are on Manual Authentication, just upgraded to Moodle 2.5, gone into User Policies to make sure Default Role is Authenticated, and this is the message I receive for non-Admins when I go through Forgot Password:

Someone (probably you) has requested a new password for your
account on 'M.S.A.D. #42 Virtual Classrooms'.

Unfortunately passwords can not be reset on this site,
please contact the site administrator,

Thank you for all of your time and help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Metzler

Re: Forgot Password Not Working

by Adam Metzler -

Finally got it working, had to go under Define Roles!

In reply to Adam Metzler

by Panida Nootawee -

I have a same your problem. I want to solve it. How do you fixed it? thank you.

In reply to Panida Nootawee

by John Baker -
Hello Panida,

Looking at Mike's post, I'm guessing he went to Settings > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles.  I looked in two places under Define Roles: student and authenticated user. There is a setting in both places called "change own password."

I'm afraid clicking the setting to "Allow" didn't work for me.  I'm running 2.71 and having another issue which may be related and complicating things: I'm unable to send emails to students. Trying to fix the second issue,  I've played with the SMTP settings and contacted my hosting provider: Bluehost, but i haven't had much luck. I haven't contacted the techs about the forgotten password problem. I want to make sure it is a MOODLE issue and not related to Cron or something else on the server before I trouble them. On that note, I'm curious if Mike's emails were going out before the Forgotten Password problem and if they are working now.  This might help me figure out things.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful. I have had a line of students out my door everyday this week asking for help with their forgotten passwords.  MOODLE's password requirements of eight characters with an upper and lower case and special character seems to be a challenge for many of the students.

Best wishes,

John

In reply to John Baker

by John Baker -

Update:

I set up debugging e-mail messages under Site Administration>Development> Debugging, but I didn't get any error messages on either the forgotten password issue or the e-mail issue. This has got me stumped.  

Ideas?

In reply to John Baker

by John Baker -

I'd like to thank Clay for pointing me in the right direction. I'm extrememly grateful.  Afer four days, I finally got it fixed. Thank you. He suggested the following:

Site administration /  Plugins /  Message outputs /  Email
Updating the fields to default (including default empty "smtp hosts") and updating the 
No-reply address
noreplyaddress . 

I did that, but I still had a little trouble. I had to do two more things.  I had to make sure that I was using the the noreply address MOODLE was suggesting instead one of my own creation. Over the last few days I tried a few in the hopes of getting it to work, one of which was my own Yahoo address.  That didn't work out well. I got a message from the Bluehost server with the following link that explained why: http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-28.html

The second thing I needed to do was add the no reply address to the Yahoo filter and point the e-mail to my inbox.  The funny thing was that it wasn't showing up in my SPAM or trash, but pointing it to the inbox did the trick. I can now get the messages and password resets in my Yahoo box. I'll be sure to tell my students that too. I wish I had tried that tried that earlier.

While playing around, I found out something very interesting. I found that I was only having this problem with Yahoo addresses. When I changed the sample student profile's email to a Hotmail address it all went through fine, messages and lost password notices.

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this topic.   Together you helped me trouble shoot the problem. I hope my input will also be helpful.

Best wishes,

John
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Baker

by erdal ayan -

Dear John,

thank you for your urgent response and help. The link including the screenshots of my problem dealing with e-mail based self reg. and authentication is here <https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=271188#p1170368>; I have tried every solution recommended but the server could not send confirmation e-mail to the new user. sad

Best..

Erdal Ayan, MA
In reply to erdal ayan

by Maria Victoria Beronia -
Hi. Did you got this function working already? Ugh, I'm having a bad time in this.. My forgot password still not working. There's still no instruction sent in my email whenever I enter my valid email address. Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance!
In reply to Adam Metzler

by Harvey Arkawy -

We are running Version 2.6.2. Build 20140310

I have tried everything listed above to get the software to e-mail the link to whomever had clicked on the Forgot Password Not Working.  The program displays that an e-mail has been sent, but it never arrives.  I am willing to provide screen dumps where ever needed to show what we have in order to help solve the problem.  

Maybe someone could provide screen dumps to show what functions?

In reply to Harvey Arkawy

by Marc McLain -

Here's what fixed our problem (Moodle 2.7)

In the config.php there is a line of code:

$CFG->noemailever that was set to true. Once we commented this line of code out (or set the variable to true) we started receiving the emails.

This was after we did everything to ensure our email settings and cron were working properly.

In reply to Marc McLain

by Dave Green -

I can't get this to work. I've located the config.php file, found the entry which was commented out by default and the issue is obviously still there.

The config.php file also state a location I'm not to sure about

I really need to have this resolved any help will be greatly appreciated.