Flickr (public) licensing query

Flickr (public) licensing query

by Catherine Mclean -
Number of replies: 5

I am testing the Flickr (public) repository on our test Moodle server and I'm trying to find more information about the licensing. 

I need to advise people that if they are going to use Flickr public to insert an image into Moodle, they need to know the licensing of that image. This is easily done in Flickr itself but if I was to just search Flickr using the File Picker, how can I tell if a picture is copyrighted, has all rights reserved, needs attribution etc? 

I realise I can tick the boxes (hopefully the screen shot below has worked) that talk about using the image commercially or being able to modify it, but it still doesn't tell me what rights/licensing that picture has. 

Similar to the advanced search feature in Flickr (where you can search for images that are available only within the creative commons license section), is there a way of doing this through Moodle? http://www.flickr.com/search/advanced/

file picker_flickr public

Apologies if I'm asking too much or if the question has been asked before. I have trawled through many of the forum posts and I can't find what I'm looking for. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Catherine Mclean

Re: Flickr (public) licensing query

by Catherine Mclean -

I should have added that I'm not assuming the file picker automatically searches the creative commons area in Flickr. 

by Michael Coghlan -

Interesting. Just a few weeks later and I discover the same problem. Has anyone solved it? Basically using the public Flickr repository seems a bit pointless atm because you have to go back to Flick to get the author info for attribution. So you may as well just search Flickr direct.

And another issue - if you use tags to search inside the file picker they behave differently than if you use those same tags on Flickr....or am I missing something?

In reply to Michael Coghlan

by Catherine Mclean -

Yes I had the same issue with the tags functionality. It behaves differently in the File Picker than it does in Flickr itself.

by Michael Coghlan -

This is a real shame. I think this more or less renders the public Flickr option in the file picker as unusable.  Better to go direct to Flickr and search for CC images there. Which of course most teachers won't do. That one extra step will knock it on the head.

In reply to Michael Coghlan

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I agree, if the license isn't described and the attribution information added there's no point with the Flickr file picker.

Instead it is encouraging bad use of CC/PD and is in that way plain contra-productive!