I don't fully understand random questions

I don't fully understand random questions

by Darren Smith -
Number of replies: 1
Moodle 1.4.4

I have a bank of questions - around 50 so I want 5 quizzes of 10 multiple choice random questions.

Created the first quiz and added my 10 random questions and then did the same for the second. In doing so some questions popped up ...

Are questions random to the user or do all participants get the same random questions?
Will questions be repeated in quiz 2 or do random questions only take from unsused questions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darren Smith

Re: I don't fully understand random questions

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Darren,
 My understanding is that "random questions" are selected  randomly  from the fixed pool (the category you use to pull them from) every time the quiz is presented to each student, that is you get a completely different quiz each time a user makes a quiz attempt.

How different is the quiz is a matter of statistics. For each of your quizzes, 10 different questions will we selected out of 50, at random.

But the second quiz will follow the same rule: 10 out of 50 possible. NOT 10 out of 40 (50 - 10 already used in another quiz). Quiz instances know nothing about each other. So, if you are using 5 quizzes of 10 question, from a pool of 50, you can bet that many questiosn will be repeated in at least two quizzes (but not always the same, neither in the same attempts).

In this case, may be better to ask studenst to repeat the same quiz 5 times. Easier to understand what's going on, by teacher and students.

If you do need separate quizzes you may draw questions from five separate categories. That way there will not be repetitions between quizzes (if questiosn do not repeat across categories).

- Enrique -