Usage of variables/datasets containing text in non calculated questions

Usage of variables/datasets containing text in non calculated questions

by Ebo Roek -
Number of replies: 6

For calculated questions it is easy to put in variables/create a dataset.

I would like to create a short answer question with the same feature if possible.

E.g. I want to create a question where in the question text I put in a few variables (company name, person name). Students have to look up some information about these company/person and answer a few questions about them.

It is important that each student receives unique company/person data in the question. Furthermore, I would like to use the same variable in other questions too (with the same value for each student question).

Know how to do this with calculated questions, but no idea how to get this working with text questions...

Thanks in advance!

Moodle version: 2.3.2+ (Build: 20120927) 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ebo Roek

Re: Usage of variables/datasets containing text in non calculated questions

by Douglas Broad -

My method:  Create a spreadsheet with a table of inputs and answers.   In the same spreadsheet, create a series of cells that contain parts of the question and answer (ultimately in GIFT form).   Create a cell that catenates the individual cells together to form the GIFT question.  Copy the cell to Notepad.  Save and import the questions into moodle.  Takes some work to set up the first spreadsheet but the form can be used for many types of text and calculation questions by using the short answer or cloze question form.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Douglas Broad

by Jeff Forssell -

I've used a similar method to make CLOZE questions. It would be interesting to see a .xls file you've (Douglas) used.

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Douglas Broad -

Attached is a simple example.  The task was to make sure my students could reliably find values in a table from a description.  At the top, I began by just making up questions.  The table came next.  Next was a primary question with options to make sure that variations included every possible cell in the table (to be used in a random selection group).  Lastly the values (Q/A) of the cells were copied into a single column for exporting.  This format was GIFT short answer because I was expecting an exact response.

The second spreadsheet is more complex and uses a table of wood properties to generate questions for a simple span distributed load beam question.  In light of recent National Design Standard changes, the allowable stresses are no longer relevant.  This is a gross simplification to meet the needs of a first class in Statics and Strengths.  Question ends up being an answer table with Cloze formatting.

by Jeff Forssell -

Hi Douglas

Thanks for sharing.

by Ebo Roek -

Hi Douglas,

Thank you, the answer helped a lot!

In reply to Ebo Roek

by Douglas Broad -

You're welcome.  The random question selector makes these generated question sets behave very similarly to variable questions.  Difference is that you cannot use moodle to do the calculations after varying the variables.  You must do that in the spreadsheet and import.  

I have also been able to ask variable word questions within variable and simplified variable questions by using techniques that Tim has demonstrated along with simple integer variable sets.  Problem is that the student cannot enter a word phrase back unless that phrase is considered a unit.