Moodle 2.3.3. essay quiz answers disappearing

Moodle 2.3.3. essay quiz answers disappearing

by Jay Cook -
Number of replies: 1

We're using Moodle 2.3.3 (Build: 20121112) and having a problem with quiz answers that disappear when they are submitted after the allotted time. Quiz answers (essays in our case) disappear when the time limit is set with either 1) a closing date/time or 2) a time limit on the quiz. This has happened in 2 different courses: one with a closing date/time, and the other had a time limit on the quiz. In both courses, open attempts are set to submit automatically when time expires, and the missing quizzes have been submitted 1 minute to an hour after the closing time or time limit. In a few cases, quizzes are still in progress days after the time limit expires.

In one course, several students had in-progress quizzes days after they finished it, and well after the 75 min time limit expired. When I discovered these quizzes, I went in as admin, checked each quiz and saw that each student wrote their essay response to the question. I then logged-in as each student, clicked on the quiz and was notified that it was submitted. I logged-in again as admin, checked each quiz, and the answers were gone.

I'm able to replicate the problem by turning off Javascript, and then completing an essay quiz, but not submitting it until after time expires. In this situation, the quiz answers are lost. I find it hard to believe, however, that the students have turned-off Javascript because several of the students have reported that the countdown timer was active and counting down during their essay quizzes that were lost.

Unfortunately, I have very limited browser information for the students with the missing quizzes. Two students in one course reported they were using Chrome (Javascript on), but I have no information on the other students in another course.

We've been working with our Moodle provider on this for the past several weeks (no answers yet), but would also love to hear the collective wisdom of other Moodle users. Has anyone experienced problems like these, and more importantly, can you recommend a solution?

Thanks!
Jay

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jay Cook

Re: Moodle 2.3.3. essay quiz answers disappearing

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I cannot think of anything in Moodle that would make responses disappear from a quiz attempt once they have been saved. When you review one of these attempts, can you see the History of responses table? Is the data there?