Importing: BrainHoney to Moodle

Importing: BrainHoney to Moodle

by A Cooper -
Number of replies: 7

Are there any plug-ins, etc. available to import BrainHoney content into Moodle?

We are using Moodle version 1.9.4 (right now).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to A Cooper

Re: Importing: BrainHoney to Moodle

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It seems very unlikely, I read everything I can about Moodle and I had not heard of Brainhoney till I saw your post.

In reply to A Cooper

by Floyd Saner -

It looks like Brainhoney supports IMS which can be read by Moodle.

http://dec2011.brainhoney.com/docs/Admin_EXPORT_COURSE

Also see: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/IMS_content_package

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

That page Floyd linked to also shows that brainhoney has a "Moodle zip" export type - might be worth trying that too...
but.... someone should tell you...

Moodle 1.9.4 is over 4 years old and there are a massive number of known serious security issues that could allow a hacker to very easily seriously compromise and damage your site including allowing access to private information that shouldn't be disclosed publicly.

You should at least upgrade to the latest 1.9 Stable release (1.9.19) and then run your imports from Brainhoney - then do an upgrade to Moodle 2.5 as 1.9 will no longer be supported for security updates at the end of this year.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by A Cooper -

Yes, you are correct. Moodle was "here" but not being utilized in this particular capacity until now... so upgrades, etc. all have to be taken into consideration in the very near future!

It "says" it will export via IMS (and as a Moodle zip) but the export only brings in (literally) titles that simply link back to BrainHoney. If you are logged into BrainHoney, you can see the content. If you are not logged into BrainHoney the content is not available. The directions online that reference exporting even explain the "loop" process.

Any other ideas of what we may can try?

Thanks!

In reply to A Cooper

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Got your message as well - posting here so that others in future might find it useful.

that actually makes sense - traditionally LMS providers don't write export functions that allow you to export their data into another LMS format - they don't usually want to encourage you to shift to another LMS - they want you to keep using theirs!

Moodle doesn't write any export tools that allow you to export a "Blackboard" format export - it does provide an open backup file so that other LMS providers could write an import tool that allows them to import a Moodle backup file if they wanted to - some providers have done this already.

From what I understand Brainhoney hasn't had a lot of traction in the global market(compared with Moodle anyway) so not many people have wanted to migrate from Brainhoney to Moodle and no-one has written a complete import/export tool to help with the migration.(as far as I've been able to see)

Many LMS-> LMS migration tools don't do a great job and require a lot of manual effort to tidy up after the import - There are a couple of import tools for Moodle that allow you to import a webct/blackboard backup file but it's really only useful for bringing the existing files and quiz questions across - the imported courses require a lot of work to tidy up after the import is complete.

Do you have very many courses that you need to import? - if you have under 40 basic courses it may be more cost-effective to manually transfer them by copying files over and manually recreating the courses in Moodle - if you have a lot of content/courses to transfer and you have some funding available to help with the transfer you could look at contracting a developer to write an import tool that allows you to upload a BrainHoney backup file and convert it to a Moodle course - this can be quite a bit of work but could be useful for others wanting to migrate from BrainHoney to Moodle as well. It's also unlikely that the import would create a course you were 100% happy with - it's likely it would require a bit of manual tweaking to get the course displaying and working correctly in Moodle.

Also - if your Moodle site is not utilised currently I'd highly suggest creating a new site using Moodle 2.5 and not wasting time on the old 1.9 install.

hopefully that is useful.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by A Cooper -

It "says" it will export via IMS (and as a Moodle zip) but the export only brings in (literally) titles that simply link back to BrainHoney. If you are logged into BrainHoney, you can see the content. If you are not logged into BrainHoney the content is not available. The directions online that reference exporting even explain the "loop" process.

(The URL I am referencing auto flags my post as spam so I can't include it here - but it is a similar BrainHoney site to what you suggested.)

Any other ideas of what we may can try?