Top level categories showing up in EVERY question bank

Top level categories showing up in EVERY question bank

by Susan Fleming -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 2.4.2 (Build: 20130311)

I am setting up Question Bank Categories in a series of brand new courses but everytime I go to Edit Categories I find them already populated with Categories and Subcategories (see attached) from a number of other courses. 

How do I get rid of these so they don't show up in EVERY new course and quiz?

Thank you in advance,

Susan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Fleming

Re: Top level categories showing up in EVERY question bank

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Those categories have been put in the shared area of the question bank that is accessible to all courses. So, they are visible in all courses (if you have suitable permissions. They are probably not visible to teachers).

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/How_to_let_teachers_share_questions_between_courses

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Top level categories showing up in EVERY question bank

by Susan Fleming -

Hello Tim

Thank you for your help, this resolved some of the issues but we are still getting questions pulled into course level categories that seem to have been put into categories created at a system level.  It appears to be probable that these categories were created while teachers had the permission to see/move/edit ALL categories.  It also looks like part of the issue is that many of these courses affected were created from a common template. 

I am starting to think I may need to manually remove the unwanted categories and questions but am still hoping I can find a way of doing so globally.